Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 39: "Asian" Shark Steak with Lemon Rice

Options
  • 29-09-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know what to call this really, we had a BBQ earlier in the year and I just whacked the flavours together and it turned out to be very nice.

I've used Shark Steaks here - they are available in most fishmongers, and are quite inexpensive (I got 2 for about €3.50 for this recipe). I've also used Swordfish Steaks and Ling Cod.

I had Lemon Rice recently in a restaurant, and thought it would be a good accompaniment for the flavours on the fish.

First of all the ingredients for the "Asian" marinade. I call it Asian because they are kind of asiany flavours.

Soy Sauce, Garlic, Chilli and Lime Juice.

DSCN1032.jpg

Chop the Chilli and Garlic roughly,

DSCN1033.jpg

add to enough soy sauce and juice of a lime to cover the fish, leave in the fridge for an hour, or more, so the fish absorbs the flavours.

DSCN1036.jpg

Now, the rice.

You need some pre-cooked rice. Basmati is good for this, make sure you cook it, then let it cool. Also Curry Leaves, Turmeric, Ground Coriander, Lemon Juice and a handful of peanuts per person.

DSCN1035.jpg

Heat some Oil in a wok, and add the curry leaves, fry off until they start to change colour slightly.

DSCN1040.jpg

Add the Lemon Juice, peanuts and Turmeric, be careful not to burn the turmeric, it can taste bitter.

DSCN1043.jpg

Next add the rice, and heat through

DSCN1045.jpg

We are going to cook the fish now - with Shark, I cook it on a Griddle Pan, but the very best way to cook this is on the BBQ, unfortunately it was raining this week though. Swordfish would also be good this way, with the Cod I oven baked it.

Put the fish on the pan for a few minutes each side until done

DSCN1044.jpg

When done, plate up. I used some of the marinade on the plate too.

DSCN1046.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Looks tasty! Is there any reason you have to use cold cooked rice? Could you add just cooked rice to the pan with the spices?

Also do you keep your citrus fruit in the freezer? :D They look like the have a fine sheen of frost of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

looks nice, i have never had shark, how does it taste and texture?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Malari wrote: »

Also do you keep your citrus fruit in the freezer? :D They look like the have a fine sheen of frost of them!

LOL, yes we do :o

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Des and IB.... Where did ye get shark, and could I get some next weekend? I don't live near a good fishmonger...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ChewChew wrote: »
    Des and IB.... Where did ye get shark, and could I get some next weekend? I don't live near a good fishmonger...

there is a great fish shop in Glasnevin, i can pick you up some :)

http://www.tasteofthesea.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

looks nice, i have never had shark, how does it taste and texture?

It's texture is not unlike Ray, but a bit meatier. It's nice and soft too, and soaks up the flavours of the marinade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Malari wrote: »
    Looks tasty! Is there any reason you have to use cold cooked rice? Could you add just cooked rice to the pan with the spices?

I used warm rice before and it turned out very badly, like a rice pudding consistency.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

irishbird wrote: »
    there is a great fish shop in Glasnevin, i can pick you up some :)

http://www.tasteofthesea.ie/
    If it's not out of your way, I'd be very grateful :D

The plate is back in the cooking club, hooray!

Never had shark before but I'm definitely intrigued.

Advertisement