Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick - Cork via Limerick Junction

Options
  • 29-09-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I have to say I'm shocked. I try as much as possible to travel by rail as I consider it a more comfortable way to travel but I have just been planning a trip to Cork from Limerick and I am scratching my head trying to figure out how a return ticket is now €52 online. The last time I used this service it was €32, I will be getting the bus this time around.

Limerick to Dublin €22.00 inc. booking fee.
    Limerick to Cork €54.00 inc. booking fee.

I'm boggled !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Jmccoy! unfortunately you are a victim of the stupid Irish Rail website. When you enquire about a return journey on their website you are told the fare from Limerick to Cork is €26 and the fare from Cork to Limerick is €26. You would be forgiven for thinking the return fare is €52.............BUT........... if you go one step further and actually try to book the trip you will find the fare is magically €35. You like thousands of others clearly felt €52 was excessive and you went elsewhere. So Irish Rail lost a passenger through their own carelessness and stupidity before you were given the facts. Have they a self distruct policy. Seemingly so. Obviously the featherbedded featherheads who manage the website never actually need to buy aticket themselves or they might have noticed this method of driving away customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The bus eireann 51 starts at 7.25am then goes at twenty five to every hour from 8.35am to 8.35pm and costs €22 return for adults,

Fare Discounted Fare
    15.00 14.25 : Adult Single
    22.00 20.90 : Adult Rtn
    20.00 19.00 : Adult Day Rtn
    11.00 10.45 : Child Single
    17.50 16.62 : Child Return
    16.30 15.48 : Child Day Rtn
    12.00 11.40 : Student Single
    17.50 16.62 : Student Rtn
    20.00 19.00 : Adult MW Rtn
    16.30 15.48 : Child MW Rtn
    44.00 41.80 : Family Rtn
    70.50 66.97 : Adult 10 Jny
    67.00 63.65 : Student 10 Jny

this takes approximately 2 hours while Citylink have an express bus 5 times a day costing €22 adult return and taking approximately 90 minutes http://citylink.ie/index.php/cork-express

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I note that it is possible to get to Dublin or other stations like Portlaoise for 22 euro from Limerick (presumably the Oola discount) but this is not extended to services like Limerick-Cork similarly affected. Typical IE discrimination against Cork :rolleyes:

Advertisement