Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfering Windows

Options
  • 29-09-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hi, is it possible for me to trasngfer my windows to a new build that i finsihed yesterday? If i copied all the files from my old HDD over to an external and then booted from the external HDD. Could i then copy the files over to the HDD installed on the new build and be able to boot windows then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

No, you need to re install windows on the new build with all the new drivers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you are only allowed transfer a license if it's transferrable.
    OEM licenses are not transferrable
    upgrades of OEM licenses are not transferrrable

Up to Windows '98 there was a good chance that a HDD would boot in another machine, Windows 7 sort might

But Window NT 3 all the way up to Vista were virtually guranteed to Blue Screen Of Death if the motherboard chipset was different - in some cases even a different revision of the chipset was enough.

then if it booted, and it didn't get upset at the video driver ( anyone play the vgasafe game ) it would probably get all snotty about recognising a different motherboard and game over without a new license key.

Short version

Windows is licensed per motherboard so it's behaving as designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Acronis True image with Universal Restore (sometimes in home versions called the Plus Pack ad-don) will allow you to transfer to alternative hardware by injecting the correct chip set controller drivers into the backup windows installation during image restoration.

The OEM license restrictions apply, however you are entitled to restore a backup from a systems failure to alternative hardware.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The OEM license restrictions apply, however you are entitled to restore a backup from a systems failure to alternative hardware.
    OEM is only allowed to be restored to alternative hardware that has been supplied by the original equipment supplier under warranty.

EULA's suck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

I agree and never buy OEM server products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

thanks for the replies. Found out a friend had a spare copy of Windows 7 Home. Bught it off him cheap enough

Advertisement