Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop on 2fm 9-11am next week

Options
  • 29-09-2012 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Des bishop will be filling in for tubridy next week. It will be the greatest radio on irish radio for many years, Des is a very funny guy, it is going to be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Des bishop will be filling in for tubridy next week. It will be the greatest radio on irish radio for many years, Des is a very funny guy, it is going to be great.

Tubs is filling in for Chris Evans again next week on BBC Radio 2 - will be interesting to see how Des Bishop gets on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Is that you Des?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Well lets be honest .. it's like taking over banking regulation from Pat Neary... he could hardly be any worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I find it amazing that Tubs has swung this cosy arrangement with RTE! He's off to the BBC again next week?? Does he work for RTE or is it just a filler for him in the weeks where the beeb don't need him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

A couple of hundred thousand listeners versus a couple of million... It's a no brainer really and Des Bishop is probably on the books of Noel Kelly esq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭GSF

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I find it amazing that Tubs has swung this cosy arrangement with RTE! He's off to the BBC again next week?? Does he work for RTE or is it just a filler for him in the weeks where the beeb don't need him?
    Gives RTE a chance to road test his replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

GSF wrote: »
    Gives RTE a chance to road test his replacement

or if rte didnt let their employee go off to work for someone else then maybe they wouldnt need a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Hopefully he isn't being paid by RTE while he's over at the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

This Part time Tubridy mess has been going on for too long. Not much point in advertising a show when the Presenter only bothers turning up when the BBC don't want him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Des was good morning. Not too much of the "Americans do this and the Irish do that" stuff, which is well worn out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

He may bring back the papers segment and rap through the headlines!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Who's Ray Darcy going to have on to fill the week then if Des is busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

bbability wrote: »
    A couple of hundred thousand listeners versus a couple of million... It's a no brainer really and Des Bishop is probably on the books of Noel Kelly esq.

Tubridy is hated in Britain, so it's not as if he has the choice. He is merely covering for Evans. He won't be offered another BBC contract, if the comments on the Chris Evans Facebook page are anything to go by. I predicted at the time that Tubbins woudn't go down well in Britain, what with British society being so politically correct. Tubridy's old fashioned, 1950s views have not gone down well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ghiertal wrote: »
    Tubridy is hated in Britain, so it's not as if he has the choice. He is merely covering for Evans. He won't be offered another BBC contract, if the comments on the Chris Evans Facebook page are anything to go by. I predicted at the time that Tubbins woudn't go down well in Britain, what with British society being so politically correct. Tubridy's old fashioned, 1950s views have not gone down well there.
    Tubridy is not hated in Britain.

Well, my reading of it is that he is. He definitely will be if he stays there any longer. When you consider that BBC Radio 2 listeners are amongst the most mild mannered people in the world, it tells you how much Tubridy has annoyed them when you read the comments on the site.:pac:

The station announced Tubridy would be covering for Evans yesterday on the show’s Facebook page, saying “Ryan has dug out this rather patriotically-coloured sweater to keep away the Autumn chills this morning!”

However the announcement met with mixed reaction from listeners who expressed their opinions through comments on the page.

Richard Sharpe said: “I just turned on Radio 2.... heard it was Ryan and turned it off again”. Another listener, Andy Barton said: “Oh god not Ryan - get him off !!!”

Read more: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/oh-god-not-ryan-get-him-off-bbc-listeners-react-to-ryan-tubridys-guest-presenting-stint-3248106.html#ixzz288GGq2zR

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Just from reading Chris Evan's Facebook page it appears there isn't a whole lot of love for Ryan on BBC2.
    I think Des Bishop is doing a reasonably ok job this week.

I was just sayin....Gary Glitter is hated in Britain as is Ian Huntly. Tubs is no Ian huntly. More of an Alan Partridge, which many of the facebookers have noticed too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Well, my reading of it is that he is. He definitely will be if he stays there any longer. When you consider that BBC Radio 2 listeners are amongst the most mild mannered people in the world, it tells you how much Tubridy has annoyed them when you read the comments on the site.:pac:

It would be wise to stop reading after this.

Aidric wrote: »
    It would be wise to stop reading after this.

Aidric, please read the comments on the Chris Evans BBC2 Facebook page. Maybe, hate is too strong a word but there is most certainly a dislike amongst the existing listenership. Usually, a stand-in will be more popular than the regular host so these developments are simply staggering.

• Advertisement

Aidric, please read the comments on the Chris Evans BBC2 Facebook page. Maybe, hate is too strong a word but there is most certainly a dislike amongst the existing listenership. Usually, a stand-in will be more popular than the regular host so these developments are simply staggering.
    Mild indifference would be more accurate than "hate"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I don't think BISCUIT he's that bad. Can BISCUIT be a bit BISCUIT annoying at times. BISCUIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

You can't judge if someone is liked or not by looking at comments on facebook or even on a message board. When people hate something they are much more inclined to comment on it than if they like it so I wouldn't judge whether the British public like Tubridy or not by facebook comments.

I like Dave Fannings show in the evenings, any show that starts with five songs in a row is a good radio show, but I've never felt inclined to comment on the Internet about it. Infact I don't think there is even a thread for me to comment in.

The people who hate always shout the loudest on the internet.

I can't stand Tubridy either though for what it's worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just listening in to des for the first time. Have to say he's doing a very good job. Pity there isn't more fresh voices in 2fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Yeah, not a fan of his comedy but he's doing alright here. A million times better than Tubridy, at least Des has some wit to him.

Maybe RTE should consider giving the job to him full time and save the taxpayer a fortune paying someone who is clearly out of their depth and is driving thousands of listeners away from their flagship music station.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Listened to the whole show(first time in years I've listened to a full 2fm show) and he did good given that he doesn't do this very often. The topics he seemed to have life experience which tubbs doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

I don't think BISCUIT he's that bad. Can BISCUIT be a bit BISCUIT annoying at times. BISCUIT.

Was that supposed to be funny or something??

I'd like to see Bishop being kept on, he's much easier to listen to than Tubridy, and its possible to actually relate to some of the things he discusses. Its the first time in a couple of years I've had 2fm on after 9am. I can't stand Tubridy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Des has a lot of potential.

Very natural conversationalist. He handled that poor girl with tourettes with genuine sensitivity and pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Can't stand Bishop,but he's still far less annoying then Ryan Tubridy.

Pity Tubridy wasn't a massive success for the BBC though,we would never be assaulted by his tedious presenting style on Irish radio/TV ever again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm not a big fan of Bishop but I do feel he suits radio. He's filled in for certain presenters on Newstalk before also and has always fitted in well to the role as host.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement