Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Memory Stick Problem

Options
  • 28-09-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I bought a 32GB memory stick from amazon and it came today. I'm trying to transfer just over 6gb of files onto it and it's telling me it's going to take over 3 hours. I use a lot of other USB and external hard drives on my laptop and transfer speeds with other devices are actually very fast. Anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

It depends on the specs of the USB key and the specs of your laptop. Can you post whats on the key's packaging?

Teracopy might help a little:
    http://codesector.com/teracopy

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Product Features
    32GB genuine flash memory - guaranteed to be free from data corruption
    Hi-speed USB 2.0 certified & compatible with USB 1.1
    Plug & Play compatible with almost all computers, notebooks, media players, TV's with USB slots etc.
    High performance, low power consumption & non-volatile storage, shock proof.
    Easy grip, tactile rubberised finish, frustration-free, easy-open retail pack & 2 Year warranty
    Technical Details
    Read Speed up to 18 MB/sec, Write Speed up to 5 MB/sec
    Shock resistance: 1,000g
    Data retention: over 10 years
    Working voltage: 5V
    Static current: 40Ma
    CE,FCC,ROHS compliant.
    Operating temperature: -20 to +70°C
    Operating humidity: 5 to 90% RH
    Operating current: <100mAh

I'll have a look at TeraCopy thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

That's a very slow write speed to be honest. So 3hrs (and it will probably vary over the copy time) isn't completely unrealistic. Windows can report odd times then shorten or lengthen that time. Teracopy may help a very small bit but your write speed is horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Thanks for the heads up! Lesson learned then lol.

Advertisement