Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fonemenders WTF

Options
  • 28-09-2012 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used this company before, http://www.fonemenders.ie ?

I left a phone in with them in July, got email saying they needed information regarding warranty so emailed all that off, got reply saying passed inspection and it would be fixed, months rolled on so about three weeks ago I was getting a bit concerned about the time it was taking so called into the shop near the GPO, called in every monday for Three weeks, each time I was told I would get a call that day and that it was strange it was taking that long, never got a call and now dis-morning I get a text saying:

QA BER – unfortunately, due to technical reasons, it will not be possible for us to repair your phone – signs of physical damage or moisture intrusion were discovered on the components of its main board. If you would like your phone recycled, please contact us at info@fonemenders.ie

WTF is this a joke? Three months later

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Has anyone used this company before, http://www.fonemenders.ie ?

I left a phone in with them in July, got email saying they needed information regarding warranty so emailed all that off, got reply saying passed inspection and it would be fixed, months rolled on so about three weeks ago I was getting a bit concerned about the time it was taking so called into the shop near the GPO, called in every monday for Three weeks, each time I was told I would get a call that day and that it was strange it was taking that long, never got a call and now dis-morning I get a text saying:

QA BER – unfortunately, due to technical reasons, it will not be possible for us to repair your phone – signs of physical damage or moisture intrusion were discovered on the components of its main board. If you would like your phone recycled, please contact us at info@fonemenders.ie

WTF is this a joke? Three months later

Do a search on "Fonemenders" and you'll see how this is pretty standard for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seem if you mention repair or warranty, the phrase "Moisture damage" is sure to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Just thought Id post an update of what happened..Went to collect phone, they apologized and acknowledged their was a lot of mistakes on their end...They gave me a picture of the inside of the phone showing the damp patch and gave me a free Nokia phone for all the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭darg

they seem to be a samsung approved service agent which is worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

They are Samsung Nokia LG and Sony approved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

My Samsung Galaxy S Plus is with them at the moment...after ringing up Samsung customer service they organised the repair.

Posted it (registered post stamped jiffy bag provided by them/samsung) on Friday and just checked the website today and its listed as "awaiting final tests in Quality Assurance"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

UPDATE ... just checked website and now it says
    QA BER – unfortunately, due to technical reasons, it will not be possible for us to repair your phone – signs of physical damage or moisture intrusion were discovered on the components of its main board. If you would like your phone recycled, please contact us at info@fonemenders.ie .

Not a happy camper seeing as yesterday it was repaired and going through final test ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Ive just returned my phone to Fonemenders and got the same ...
    QA BER – unfortunately, due to technical reasons, it will not be possible for us to repair your phone – signs of physical damage or moisture intrusion were discovered on the components of its main board. If you would like your phone recycled, please contact us at info@fonemenders.ie .

Has anyone had any joy with Fonemenders or do I need to take this up with Samsung?

My phone worked perfectly except I couldnt hear people on a phone call. Everything else worked fine. Video, mp3, internet, texts. Everything.
    Very annoyed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In my experience these places won't touch a phone if the water indicator is triggered (seems to happen very often IMO). Its a gotcha on the warranty also. A smaller repair place might try fixing it but not under warranty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Over the last 5 years I've had a nokia n95, n900, Huawei dongle and Galaxy S2 in with them (Cork branch) on at least 10 occasions and had all problems repaired under warranty, the longest one of them took was a week because it was level 3 and had to be sent to Dublin but the rest were ready the next day.
    Never went back to my network or manufacturer as I found this lengthens the process ten fold.
    All they do is enter your imei number and see if it's still under warranty and hey presto.
    I find it a great service.
    I really don't think people can be serious to expext a water damaged device to be repaired to standard full stop never mind under warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You're missing the point. The phones often aren't water damaged. It maybe a simple fault like a speaker, or a cable.

The water indicator is triggered on many phones that aren't water damaged. But it invalidates the warranty. Even where the fault of a known failure of the phone. Like a USB socket or such.

Advertisement