Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most useful gift

Options
  • 28-09-2012 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi i have to buy a few baby presents and im wondering what do people think is the most useful or cute gift to get. I dont want to buy clothes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Hi, I usually buy vests, baby gro's, sleep suits as gifts. I know its clothes but I found myself that they were the things I usually needed the most as they got older. I get from ages 3-6 mths and 9-12 mths. A couple of packs of each, next have lovely ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

A home made meal to put in the freezer or help around the house or with other kids are the best things you can give a new mother. And cloths...you can never have too many cloths!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

If you really want to impress, make up a little hamper and fill it with nappies Size 2 and 3, tub of silcocks base, tub of sudocream, bottle of calpol, Baby towel for after a bath, some rubber ducks etc....
    Just pick some stuff like the above and believe me, whoever you give that gift to, will be well pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

mkdon05 wrote: »
    If you really want to impress, make up a little hamper and fill it with nappies Size 2 and 3, tub of silcocks base, tub of sudocream, bottle of calpol, Baby towel for after a bath, some rubber ducks etc....
    Just pick some stuff like the above and believe me, whoever you give that gift to, will be well pleased.

this is a great idea as we got one from my work collegues on the birth of our first. Were digging into it for months as it had wee tootbrushes bigger size nappies(4's) 9-12 babygrows etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Voucher for mammy to treat herself when she's up to it.

If you're getting clothes in bigger sizes try to think what season it will be. I got shorts for my fella that would have fit him in December :D Also 3-6mth & 6-9mths seem to be very popular sizes for people buying gifts so i would avoid these ;)

After that it depends how much you want to spend or how well you know the family. There might be things they still need if you ask them.

This was the most used gift we got

http://www.toys.ie/Tomy-Starlight-Dreamshow-!100591-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=8ebddaf1-9689-4e3d-8436-1e4ffda266ea

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Something for mammy ;) I was well chuffed getting a voucher for a beauty salon. You feel like you were dragged through a hedge backwards at times in the early days, and a little hour or two away to get your nails done or facial or whatever is bliss. A hair voucher too might be appreciated as hair loss after birth is common. I'm shedding like a yeti here :D

The nicest thing we got was a pure merino wool blanket. I use it for naps and when out in the pram - it regulates temperature so baby never gets clammy or overly warm, breathable, fire resistant, and soo soft. They are pricey, but well worth it in my opinion

Other than that, a baby basket with useful stuff is really nice. Dont stock up on bottles though as babies can be fussy about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

The best gift I got was a pregnancy and feeding pillow, 1.90 m long, it is the best thing in the world although it is a bit like having an extra person in the bed. OH is not impressed but I wouldn't want to sleep a night without my pillow anymore. Will be useful for a very long time as it can be used as a play mat barrier as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Neyite wrote: »
    Something for mammy ;) I was well chuffed getting a voucher for a beauty salon. You feel like you were dragged through a hedge backwards at times in the early days, and a little hour or two away to get your nails done or facial or whatever is bliss. A hair voucher too might be appreciated as hair loss after birth is common. I'm shedding like a yeti here :D

The nicest thing we got was a pure merino wool blanket. I use it for naps and when out in the pram - it regulates temperature so baby never gets clammy or overly warm, breathable, fire resistant, and soo soft. They are pricey, but well worth it in my opinion

Other than that, a baby basket with useful stuff is really nice. Dont stock up on bottles though as babies can be fussy about them.

Where did you get the merino wool blanket? I love the sound of that, I was in Mothercare, M&Ps and Debenhams today but no Joy. Got a cute romper suit and regular blanket though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Vaseline, muslins, muslins and more muslins.
    Nappy bags, cotton pads, a soother tree if you know they're going to use them, a nice warm grobag. If you're going for a gadget present, make sure they haven't got them first but the gro egg, the angelcare sensor mat monitor or a good digital thermometer would be good.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

scrgirl wrote: »
    Where did you get the merino wool blanket? I love the sound of that, I was in Mothercare, M&Ps and Debenhams today but no Joy. Got a cute romper suit and regular blanket though.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/baby-gear/blankets-covers/bassinet-blankets/auction-517194288.htm

This is the exact one we got, and I'd say this is the site the buyer got it too, cos she is always raving about the site. I had gotten the cotton cellular blankets for the cot, but even washed with softener they feel like cardboard compared to this one. I handwash it, then roll it up in a towel and stomp on it to get excess moisture out of it, fold it on a rad overnight and its usually dry quickly.

Initially I didnt even want to put it on the baby in the pram in case I lost it but I found that he got very clammy or overheated in other blankets, so for comfort I use it now in the pram and the cot. At night he just has his grobag but for naps and outings its the merino all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

a really nice blanket was probably the most versatile and long lived present we got. We received 3 by various peeps and they are still being used at 13.5 months. They will be kept as they are high quality and hold many memories.

clothes and jars of goo are all good but they are very of the moment.

Advertisement