Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine close to fire!, Dont use at night

Options
  • 28-09-2012 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Zanussi w/m aquacycle on a 60 degree wash appeared to have stuck on heating. The house was full of steam, front panel of washing machine has melted with the super heated steam. No water remaining in tub.

Plug was red hot from all the current draw. I think this could have ended in a house fire if it was not discovered.

Obvously this one is going for the scrap heap, but would zanussi ireland or fire safety authorities be interested in investigating this near miss. I guess probably not, but will email anyhow.

My opinion is that it got suck on the heat cycle and there was no overtemp fuse or it was stuck.

Also a lesson, never leave the washing machines on at night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

G-Man wrote: »
    Plug was red hot from all the current draw. I think this could have ended in a house fire if it was not discovered.

The fuse in the plug should have blown before the plug got red hot.

Are you using the appliance with the plug and fuse supplied or was the fuse in the plug changed to a 13A at some stage and maybe it should be a 5A instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Plug never changed...Generally you cant fit a 13A in moulded 5A plug, i doubt anyway 5A would have been ever in there as enough for a washing machine, so not considering that as the main problem..

Fuse in plug will protect against an electrical short, it will not protect against a high but normal current draw from a stuck timer or thermal cut out in the machine not working and this is what the evidence is, steam everywhere, machine red hot...next stage red glowing element inside machine and maybe fire.. I have read about washing machine fires before.

Really more concerned that whatever fault in the washing machine caused it to boil its contents dry and then next stage would be a fire.

Cant find a valid contact number for Zanussi or Electrolux, machine will probably be picked up and scrapped next week by the replacement outfit. I cant trust this machine anymore, even if I would be present with it on.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Company:

Electrolux Ireland
    Address:

Long Mile Road, Dublin 12
    Tel:

+353-1-4565 222
    Fax:

+353-1-4565 097

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Thanks for those contact numbers. I try on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I have seen a situation where a washing machine was blamed for a fire and it wasn't even on, just permanently plugged in like most. I suspect the plug being hot may be in your mind, as in you expected it to be hot in your panic. However, if you are sure the plug was hot, get the socket and wiring back to the consumer unit checked.

• Advertisement

hot plugs usually indicate a loose connection, either the plug in the socked where the socket connector has become weakened due to constant plugging of plugs, or one of the cable screws in either the socket or the plug has become loose. Any of these could cause the plug to heat up under load.

Another thing to consider is the possibility that an increased resistance here could have prevented a safety cut-out from operating in the machine as the load was shared with the plug heating up.

Advertisement