Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Close the Account button

Options
  • 28-09-2012 1:03am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭


    What happens when you press it? What info do you have to fill in? Worried that someone (ie; one of the f**kers at work) will click it thinking it's like frape, but my account gets closed. Any way of removing it from my options?

    Slightly paranoid about it. Can't find out safeguards that there are without clicking it, but afraid if I click it, my account closes, so; help?
    Post edited by Shield on


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear


    This post has been deleted.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord


    Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

    This +1. I haven't looked into it yet myself, but I believe you need to confirm your decision 3 times, and that includes entering your password.

    Hopefully none of the "fuckers at work" know your password...


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!


    I did it just now (well, tried it).
    You need to click a button a second time, then enter your password and optionally, give a reason. Including "Atari Jaguar" as a reason if you so desire.

    I didn't click to confirm just incase >__>


  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith


    father-dougal-presses-the-button.gif


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola


    Just to mention, the Close Account function isn't like Facebook's 'Deactivate but not really deactivate your account' facility-once you close your account, that's it, irreversible really means irreversible.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus


    If you have an uncontrollable itch to go through the process, then just open a new account and then close it. Simples.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT


    seamus wrote: »
    If you have an uncontrollable itch to go through the process, then just open a new account and then close it. Simples.


    You run the risk of a re-reg ban if you do this, I think?


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord


    FoxT wrote: »
    You run the risk of a re-reg ban if you do this, I think?

    Only if you use that account for mischief/posting in a forum you've been banned from. :)


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs


    Nah, you'll be fine if you PM Zaph or Gordon first and offer Wurthers Originals, that's their kryptonite. I've said too much...

    Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.



  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal


    father-dougal-presses-the-button.gif

    :eek:


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp


    father-dougal-presses-the-button.gif

    Stealing a joke? For shame.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-


    the_syco wrote: »
    What happens when you press it? What info do you have to fill in? Worried that someone (ie; one of the f**kers at work) will click it thinking it's like frape, but my account gets closed. Any way of removing it from my options?

    Slightly paranoid about it. Can't find out safeguards that there are without clicking it, but afraid if I click it, my account closes, so; help?

    They could shave your beard off either....:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano


    If you close it, can you reopen one using the same email address?


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph


    Cienciano wrote: »
    If you close it, can you reopen one using the same email address?

    No


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena


    Does that "no" encompass all users, or those that racked up more bans than they're worth? I mean, let's just say poster X has revealed a bit too much and doesn't feel anonymous anymore and wants to close their account and start again, do they really have to set up another email address to regain anonymity? Or can they email hello@boards.ie and have it ok to use their normal email? I can completely understand it for troublemakers and the like, but think it's a bit draconian for those that just want a clean start and never even got a warning.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!


    Elmidena wrote: »
    Does that "no" encompass all users, or those that racked up more bans than they're worth? I mean, let's just say poster X has revealed a bit too much and doesn't feel anonymous anymore and wants to close their account and start again, do they really have to set up another email address to regain anonymity? Or can they email hello@boards.ie and have it ok to use their normal email? I can completely understand it for troublemakers and the like, but think it's a bit draconian for those that just want a clean start and never even got a warning.

    I saw somewhere that the current email registered with the account can't be used for a year. You can still use another email though.


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph


    Elmidena wrote: »
    Does that "no" encompass all users, or those that racked up more bans than they're worth? I mean, let's just say poster X has revealed a bit too much and doesn't feel anonymous anymore and wants to close their account and start again, do they really have to set up another email address to regain anonymity? Or can they email hello@boards.ie and have it ok to use their normal email? I can completely understand it for troublemakers and the like, but think it's a bit draconian for those that just want a clean start and never even got a warning.

    Once an account has been closed, for whatever reason, the e-mail address can't be re-used for a year, as mentioned by Brutal Deluxe below. Sorry, I should have mentioned that fact too.
    I saw somewhere that the current email registered with the account can't be used for a year. You can still use another email though.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.


    Zaph, In theory, could i create a burn email account, Change my boards account to that email, close my account and open up a new account with my currant email.


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph


    Yes, I believe so. The e-mail address on the account at time of closure is the one out of commission for a year afterwards. However it is possible that one of the tech guys will correct me on this.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny


    Zaph wrote: »
    Yes, I believe so. The e-mail address on the account at time of closure is the one out of commission for a year afterwards. However it is possible that one of the tech guys will correct me on this.

    And here I am. No user should be able get away with that little trick ;)

    User a signs up with me@gmail.com - few days/weeks/months/years later they decide to close their account and change to some@burneremail.com.

    me@gmail.com is hashed and stored against their user ID. From now on, the only user ID allowed to use that email address is their own. They then close their account - some@burneremail.com is also hashed and stored.

    Both email addresses are now invalid and cannot be used. Any attempt to change email to one that's stored will fail because the user attempting the change is not the original user of that email address.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement