Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidance if you can please

Options
  • 27-09-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hey all,

I am hoping someone on here could see their way fit to point me in the right direction please.

Some background:
    I am a Girl Guide Leader and I would like to give my girls (11-15 years old) some information relating to jobs that are not "traditionally female" roles. Women in the military is one of the first of these that springs to mind.

So to my question: How do I go about arranging for a serving (female) member of the defense forces to come visit one of my meetings? Assuming there is a protocol & an official way of arranging this? I very much doubt I can just place a phone call - though maybe I can?

If anyone can help point me in the right direction & give me some guidance on how to go about this I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

RIRI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Have a look here on www.military.ie

It's the press office, they may be able to do something for you.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Thank you Ben - wasn't sure if that was the best way to go, really don't want to make a fool of myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

RIRI wrote: »
    Thank you Ben - wasn't sure if that was the best way to go, really don't want to make a fool of myself

Dont worry about that, they get requests all the time. Its the proper route to go through. You could go the unofficial way and find a female soldier to talk to the kids but that would mean, no uniform and no equipment.

If the press office can facilitate you, you could get a few female soldiers and possibly a show and tell scenario.

Hopefully they are not too busy to respond.

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Great idea for girls.

Engineers Ireland run a similar program where female engineers tell their stories to young girls. They might be worth a call also.

Anyway
    Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Not strictly military related but there's also WITS - Women in Technology and Science - you could contact them to see who they might be able to talk to your group.

• Advertisement
Advertisement