Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resto Shaman?

Options
  • 27-09-2012 10:28pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the Shaman is the only class ive not played to lvl 80 , infact i lie my warrior only got to lvl 60 but everything else to to 80-85.
    Im about to buy MOP and resub to wow after about 13 months away :eek:
    Ive always been a healer with holy priest being my usual main.
    Ive played all healers apart from shaman and monk obviously but i was thinking of boosting a shaman as my once off lvl 80 boost from scroll of ressurection but since i know feck all about the shammy healing i thought id ask here.
    When i was raiding we usually had holy priest,shamans and druids raid healing with paladins and disc priests tank healing.
    Just how good are shaman healers?

My very limited knowledge is purely down to this video ive watched tonight,but i do admit it looks fun, ive always loved the look of that heal that seems to shoot a healing beam to all team mates,havet a cle of the name :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Shaman healing is very nice style, I always found if very fluid. I'v healed on it as an alt on and off for the last two expansions from MT healing to raid healing, dabbled in some PVP and used it mostly in 5 mans to get quicker queues. I always felt the class had more tools up its sleeve compared to the few times I went Disc on my priest. Even though my Disc priest had better gear I just had a bit of a panic when multiple people started taking stupid damage especially in 5 mans. The shammy seemed to heal through stupidity a little easier but then again when I healed as Disc with decent players it was all good. Anywho, Shammy healers are brilliant in 5 mans, Chain Heal is the heal you are thinking of which bounces to others, glyph it and 5 mans become easy mode. I ran a few LFRs as resto, AoE healing is very strong and I never felt I struggled. I do know that in random battlegrounds (never done rated or arena) a geared and capable resto shaman is impossible to deal with and can turn a BG on their own. I'v yet to see a healer contribute what they can in a random BG. I'm just sickened I didn't have the proper gear to start getting into PVP to reach that level, I only started PVPing on my Shammy towards the end of the expansion. To that end my PVP spec will probably be resto and I will go elemental for LFRs in MoP, it's just fun to blow stuff up sometimes :)

I have no idea how they are in MoP though, I haven't really kept pace with the changes and the buffs/nerfs. Will prob watch the video you linked closer to the time I level mine!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks for that mate, well explained.
    Sadly for me i cant accept a scroll so the free lvl 80 is out :(
    I need to have had no sub on march 4th 2012 to be eligible , my last sub ended on march 10th :(
    Always wanted a shammy but never got round to it, I wonder if i could stomach leveling another toon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Considering how fast you can level now (apparently), i'd say levelling another character is fine. I was tempted to resub and level a Priest or Pally tank over the weekend, just by doing dungeon runs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I watched some Monk healing videos and it looks interesting, i might level one for the craic.
    Should be fast LFG pops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Just jumping in to say thanks on this too as I was also curious.

I want to take a panda shaman to 85 asap so I was thinking of instance - dungeon grinding as healer. Throw on some heirlooms and with guild buff I'm sure it would be straight forward and quick enough.

I've not healed with a shaman since bc.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Questing is still the fastest way

Dungeons is nice up until 40 and then it starts to brickwall

Since MOP release they further slashed the XP requirement to level, so my advice would be to quest, the odd dungeon here and there to spice it up.

Thats if you want to be efficent, otherwise dungeon away, although it gets monotonous and isnt as fast as questing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

TheDoc wrote: »
    Questing is still the fastest way

Dungeons is nice up until 40 and then it starts to brickwall

Since MOP release they further slashed the XP requirement to level, so my advice would be to quest, the odd dungeon here and there to spice it up.

Thats if you want to be efficent, otherwise dungeon away, although it gets monotonous and isnt as fast as questing

My problem with questing at the moment is I'm sick of the lower level quests. I've done it a few times now and just bored of it. God help me in outlands / northrend. That'll be a killer. I'll just have to find a balance between instances and quests I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Despite the boredom and repetition questing is the most efficient way. Dungeons at the right level so you can take all the main quests helps add a level or two especially around Gnomergon / BRD / Scholo levels. PVP to be decent enough as well. AV weekend helped me a lot to push through the 70-80 content. Although Outland is horrible to quest in if you go there at 58 and go through all of Hellfire (including dungeon quests) you should get to 62 or 63, Zangermarsh should get you to 66 and I used to PVP / dungeon to 68 and move out of there as fast as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jreynolds1312

Yep, you should try Shaman then after it try the Monk....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Just a comment on shaman healing in general.

They were close to godly in arena's until the recent no totem during silence buff, and even still only druids and paladins can keep into them over any sort of long game. Even with the state of PVP right now (locks/mages/warriors), burst classes are doing well in pvp. How ever, as a shaman your deep healing mastery thing can help counter that some what.

PVE wise resto is pretty solid too, good AoE heals which is needed allot in the first few raids, and quick efficient heals to top people up.

Just imagine a situation where there's 8+ people stacked together. Healing tide, Healing raid, and chain heal keeps everyone nice and topped up.

Also over on icy veins there are some very good class guides for anyone re-rolling :)

P.S If anyone happens to be on Ghostlands horde drop me a pm I can help you out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Just spent the past 2-3 weeks getting mine up for PVP (mainly) and PVE (LFR) and they are quite a fun class to play. I say this as someone who has every healer bar a monk which i say i will eventually level.

There is just something so quite refreshing in how they heal, unlike my druid you can instantly bring people up and see results as opposed constant trickle of hots with 1-2 instant heals which cost allot of mana.

Some of the offensive stuff they have is also brilliant, i love purging mage shields the instant oh **** i'm squishy and must flee movement is hilarious. Add to this capacitor totem can be and earth grab really ruin the opposing teams day :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Also worth noting that ele is very fun to play in pve compared to some classes. Some awesome spell cleave with chain-lightning proc'n overload. Sustaining over 100k on AoE is pretty awesome.

Should have my 2 set soon so when it comes to single target I wont be as far behind the pure classes and dk's.

But there's just some thing very satisfying about ele atm. Running around firing lightning and lava bursts :D

Sadly, when it comes to pvp ele just isn't as viable as the other two spec's because it's so reliant on hard casts!

Advertisement