Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newmarket on Fergus Flooding History?

Options
  • 27-09-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Some colleagues are looking at relocating to Clare and in particular houses in townlands around Newmarket on Fergus - not the town itself but I can PM more specific areas if anyone can help with the query.

They've asked if I know of any flooding in the area but I wasn't sure. In particular as there has been a lot of reports of flooding around the Limerick - Ennis rail-line.

Does anyone know if any houses in these areas have suffered from flooding in the last few years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Haven't heard of any of the houses getting flooded. The area that it floods is well known so anyone building would have avoided it (unlike big property developers). When the line was being reopened etc. CIE were also told of the flooding history and that it would have to be dealt with but they ignored the local advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

You can get some details of past floods from here: http://www.floodmaps.ie/View/Default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

5h4mr0(k wrote: »
    Haven't heard of any of the houses getting flooded. The area that it floods is well known so anyone building would have avoided it (unlike big property developers). When the line was being reopened etc. CIE were also told of the flooding history and that it would have to be dealt with but they ignored the local advise.

Don't get your point on CIE, the line was already there and they relaid the track, it was never closed so they would have known themselves about flooding issues.

Incidentally it does not seem to have flooded in recent years?

Back to original question, surely in Ireland people would have the op on now to only buy or build on sites a little bit elevated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Don't get your point on CIE, the line was already there and they relaid the track, it was never closed so they would have known themselves about flooding issues.

Incidentally it does not seem to have flooded in recent years?

Back to original question, surely in Ireland people would have the op on now to only buy or build on sites a little bit elevated!

That line flooded a few years ago, was flooded for weeks from what i recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

phill106 wrote: »
    That line flooded a few years ago, was flooded for weeks from what i recall.

Yes it flooded a few years back .... nothing unusual .... it had flooded regularly over the years .... particularly near Ballycar Station ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

PSol wrote: »
    Some colleagues are looking at relocating to Clare and in particular houses in townlands around Newmarket on Fergus - not the town itself but I can PM more specific areas if anyone can help with the query.

They've asked if I know of any flooding in the area but I wasn't sure. In particular as there has been a lot of reports of flooding around the Limerick - Ennis rail-line.

Does anyone know if any houses in these areas have suffered from flooding in the last few years?

Ballycar lake floods every year, to varying degrees according to the weather etc., and has done so for 80 to a 100 yrs.
    It drains into Newmarket through an underground river and so obviously there is only a certain amount of water that this can take, locally people will tell you that there was a shift in the ground, or a depression that formed , in a field near the village that affected the flow-through sometime early in the last century.
    Because the swelling of the lake is annual, no houses have been built on any area that floods - although there is a by-road or two that become impassible at a point for a week or two every few years, this in itself is no real problem as there are plenty of alternative routes available and any delay experienced by car would mean little more that a minute or two's extra driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Apparently one of the houses is near that station and also the Crabtree pub. Would there be a record on the floodmaps site if these had been affected?

Dunno about the records .... but I don't believe either were flooded in the last 30 years at least.

I am aware of a house near both, for sale, and it is on a rise and not susceptible to flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 PSol

Thanks everyone for all the information - I'll pass it on. Much appreciated!

Advertisement