Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defence Forces Yearly PT Test

Options
  • 27-09-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Quick question. What is the weight of the kit that ye have to have in your packs when doing the 10k route march for your yearly PT tests?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Quick question. What is the weight of the kit that ye have to have in your packs when doing the 10k route march for your yearly PT tests?

14kg

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

c-90 wrote: »
    14kg

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

You have to wear combat shirt, trousers and boots, wear battlevest/webbing and carry your backpack containing:
    Full waterbottle
    Smock
    Pair Boots
    Rain jacket + trousers.
    Helmet

It wouldn't do to turn up in front of the BPEO with 14 kg of sand in a pack - there is no weight requirement per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

concussion wrote: »
    It wouldn't do to turn up in front of the BPEO with 14 kg of sand in a pack - there is no weight requirement per se.

Not strictly true, I have seen the BPEO use the scales to check that the minimum weight of 14Kg is carried by everyone. It's much quicker than checking the contents of each pack, especially when you have 30-40 Pers taking part

And what would the outcome if the required kit was in the rucksack and it weighed less than 14 kg? The TI specifically states what is to be carried and stipulates that personell not in posession of said items will not be allowed continue. A minimum weight requirement is conspicuously absent.

Of course, having a nominal weight makes it much easier to check the kit of a large group but that's not what the TI requires.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

The kit list is what we are meant to have, in my experience it is rarely checked unless you come under the weight.........which is also rare!

Conversely, I've never seen anyone weigh kit. Perhaps BPEO's are doing things differently? And come to think of it, if you have 50 odd troops waiting to start, it's not that hard to walk the line and visually check the 5 pieces of kit which are required rather than having them queue up at a scales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

concussion wrote: »
    Conversely, I've never seen anyone weigh kit. Perhaps BPEO's are doing things differently? And come to think of it, if you have 50 odd troops waiting to start, it's not that hard to walk the line and visually check the 5 pieces of kit which are required rather than having them queue up at a scales.

Im in the East, the BPEO has always weighed our kit on the scales. Very rarely have I seen anyone ask to show the various bits and pieces.

Im sure it happens but I havent physically seen it much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Agreed, in the east they just weighed the kit in the pheonix park before the run, never checked what was packed, conversely in Scotland in the commando speed march we just loaded the backpacks with sandbags full of gravel and got them weighed at the start line.

Advertisement