Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Sealion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Saw teh Auctioneers blurb in the Mail.
    irish government afaik were under no illusions sbout the Germans, and had contingency plans, which involved cooperation with the British in that event.

These plans - unternehmen Gruene well known -

Mickey Joe Costelloe was in charge of the Army in Munster. Formidable and highly regarded general

Germans would have had major logistical difficulties in getting here in force - even in the case of Sealion - proposed invasion of UK - their Navy were doubtful of their chances of landing men crosschannel and maintaining them.

Much more exposed waters between the French ports and Ireland, sitting ducks for RAF and Royal Navy

If Hitler had conquered UKm they would have then occupied Ireland. that would not have been a good thing for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Slow news day. Back in the 1960s our school library had German military maps of Ireland from WWII - OS maps overprinted - so it's hardly a surprise they were planning a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Question for any military people here: does the existence of a set of written plans for a particular operation provide prima facie evidence of intent to carry out such an operation?

Or are they drawn up as a contingency, to act as a starting point from which to develop more specific plans if the decision to activate such a measure is taken at some time in the future?

I'm sure the British (and Americans) had and have outline plans to take many strategic points in Europe should the necessity ever arise to move into them.

The British gave serious thought to the invasion of Norway before the Germans ever attempted taking that country. Would they have moved in before the Germans if they had got their act together earlier? Did they have at least the outline of plans to invade various strategic points in Norway before they ever set sail? Would those plans involve the production of maps of Norway, briefing documents about salient physical features and communications infrastructure (roads, bridges etc), information about political and ethnic divisions within the Norwegian population and how to exploit them?

I'll bet they did. And the other question is would they have been opposed by the Norwegian population? I'll bet they would have. Quisling was not completely without support in 1940s Norway.

And that's why the comment on that link: "An (sic) disquieting thought for the many Irish at the time who believed their neutrality kept them safe from the Nazis!" pisses me off.

Ireland's neutrality (just like Norway's) was under as much threat from the British as it ever was from the Nazis. Churchill as good as admitted as much during his notorious victory broadcast in 1945.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Interesting topic alright and talking of Norway, the Faroes were occupied/invaded by the British in 1940 for strategic reasons.

And Iceland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Iceland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

In reply to Snickers man, I believe all army staffs prepare plans for a range of likely actions,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Any idea if there are accessible copies of these anywhere?

Advertisement