Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parts for Astec 63D

Options
  • 26-09-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi there,

I know it is now very difficult to get Astec parts since they stopped making them. I am looking for some extra sensors for this system - and possibly also a digital communicator (non-gsm). Can anyone point me towards the best/cheapest/any supplier who might have these please?

Many thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can convert global sensors to work with Astec. You could also connect a standalone digi if you can get your hands on an S22. Northwood Technology in Finglas may still have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

Got some S22s in REW in Ballymount if you have no luck in Northwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Cagier

Thanks guys - that's excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

KoolKid wrote: »
    You can convert global sensors to work with Astec. You could also connect a standalone digi if you can get your hands on an S22. Northwood Technology in Finglas may still have some.

No need to do anything, they work as they are.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I was allowing for MCs

• Advertisement

Hi again,

I have already moved existing sensors around the place, extended wiring to allow for new sensors and replaced the built-in battery. It has all been working well for a couple of years (so I hopefully have a bit of a clue about what I'm doing). However, the comment about global sensore with / without MCs above threw me a bit.

I have been recommended the GS613 - combined sensor (GE?) and MM102 (?) by the helpful people in REW (who are also able to supply S22 and a generic dialler and will post it all out to me if I want).

I just want to check, will these work as is or do I need to replace the resistor or something? Is there anything else I should be asking myself before I buy?

Cheers

You will need resistors across the contact of the global sensors.

You must live here Kool-Kid! :p Thanks for the speedy immediate response!
    From searching other threads I'm assuming it's 768ohms...

Cheers

That's correct. If you've any problem getting them give me a shout .

Cagier wrote: »
    From searching other threads I'm assuming it's 768ohms...

You will still need the blue resistor which should be in the last device in place also.

• Advertisement

The blue resistor is 1K5 ohms . As this is an existing system I'd imagine you already have 6 of them. Again , if your stuck give me a shout.

Now veering towards GSM for self-monitoring. The new Meteor Shockproof SIM means no monthly charges at all unless the alarm goes off so I am won over by that.

Does the S22 have 1 output or more? I would like to get different text messages depending on the type of alert (panic/fire/intruder) but I'm not sure what functionality the S22 does exactly. I imagine it operates just like a relay but if it had multiple outputs then that would be better as you can trigger different inputs on a GSM dialler.

Also, I'm just looking for texts - any recommendations on a cost-effective solution. I see some, but not all, have the option to call different number combinations, depending on which input is triggered (so I could have 2 numbers for intruder but 4 for panic or fire).

Most of them seem to have an option to text back and disable alarm if required. I'm not sure if you need something extra (i.e. a relay) or if you can use the S22 to also achieve this.

Also, I have seen reference to an Astec GSM module but assume you need the DV version for this...

Now veering towards GSM for self-monitoring. The new Meteor Shockproof SIM means no monthly charges at all unless the alarm goes off so I am won over by that.

Does the S22 have 1 output or more? I would like to get different text messages depending on the type of alert (panic/fire/intruder) but I'm not sure what functionality the S22 does exactly. I imagine it operates just like a relay but if it had multiple outputs then that would be better as you can trigger different inputs on a GSM dialler.

Also, I'm just looking for texts - any recommendations on a cost-effective solution. I see some, but not all, have the option to call different number combinations, depending on which input is triggered (so I could have 2 numbers for intruder but 4 for panic or fire).

Most of them seem to have an option to text back and disable alarm if required. I'm not sure if you need something extra (i.e. a relay) or if you can use the S22 to also achieve this.

Also, I have seen reference to an Astec GSM module but assume you need the DV version for this...

The D is for if the system is going to a monitoring station. The DV is for self monitoring. Using the S22 will allow you trigger a voice dialer for dialing out. with the DV you would of being able to connect the GSM direct to the system with no need for a voice dialer. You are limited in what you can do in terms of getting fire, panic and alarm plus remote access.

Thanks Altor. Yes, one of my options it to upgrade the panel but that seems like a bit of a pain. And can it take any generic GSM after that? I assume so.

So the restriction with my current approach is that the S22 has one output (Sounder Trigger effectively). If I want different outputs then I probably need to use the S70 Relay card which as 4 outputs and can be programmed for the different alarm conditions I want (e.g. Fire/Panic/Alarm/Mains Fail). Hopefully I could just connect these (directly) to a 4 input GSM dialller.(?)

My challenge there is to find an S70! However, even an S71 (single relay) could add one more condition for me.

There is also an Astec GSM dialler card but probably unavailable now and I'm not sure of its functionality and it probably only works with the DV version of the panel.

The other option is to set up a "Technical Zone" and use this to detect the Fire/Panic condition and trigger a separate relay. Unfortunately you can only set up one of these so that's restricted to one zone (that's not entry/exit) so I would need to add all panic buttons and smoke alarms to that zone (and remove all other sensors as it is on all the time). As the Technical Zone is "always on" then I would also need to take everything else off that zone also! Do-able if I'm stuck but not ideal.

So that's my update.

I've been told that HKC have started to manufacture the S22 now. The S70 is down as "obsolete" with REW and the status of the S71 is unclear so I need to check with HKC and/or Idas to see if I can get my hands on anything that will help.

Any comments or advice welcome.

I am also shopping around and I'll work my way through the supplier's list and try places like Northwood also but if anyone know where I can an S70 or S71 then please let me know!

Thanks Altor. Yes, one of my options it to upgrade the panel but that seems like a bit of a pain. And can it take any generic GSM after that? I assume so.

So the restriction with my current approach is that the S22 has one output (Sounder Trigger effectively). If I want different outputs then I probably need to use the S70 Relay card which as 4 outputs and can be programmed for the different alarm conditions I want (e.g. Fire/Panic/Alarm/Mains Fail). Hopefully I could just connect these (directly) to a 4 input GSM dialller.(?)

My challenge there is to find an S70! However, even an S71 (single relay) could add one more condition for me.

There is also an Astec GSM dialler card but probably unavailable now and I'm not sure of its functionality and it probably only works with the DV version of the panel.

The other option is to set up a "Technical Zone" and use this to detect the Fire/Panic condition and trigger a separate relay. Unfortunately you can only set up one of these so that's restricted to one zone (that's not entry/exit) so I would need to add all panic buttons and smoke alarms to that zone (and remove all other sensors as it is on all the time). As the Technical Zone is "always on" then I would also need to take everything else off that zone also! Do-able if I'm stuck but not ideal.

So that's my update.

I've been told that HKC have started to manufacture the S22 now. The S70 is down as "obsolete" with REW and the status of the S71 is unclear so I need to check with HKC and/or Idas to see if I can get my hands on anything that will help.

Any comments or advice welcome.

I am also shopping around and I'll work my way through the supplier's list and try places like Northwood also but if anyone know where I can an S70 or S71 then please let me know!

Very hard to source, even getting a DV panel might be hard. The GSM is a D2M. This GSM just gives a line out for DV and then you get a voice message.

Advertisement