Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower Warning

Options
  • 26-09-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

The grass cutting season may be coming to an end and it will soon be time to put away the sometimes dreaded lawnmower for another year. Before you put the machine into a corner of the shed it may be wise to consider the following incident and to carry out a simple check.

As I travelled along a busy road close to my home a few days ago I passed a man who was cutting grass along the road verge close to his house. As I passed on the opposite side of the road I could see the man taking a jump backwards from the lawnmower and at the same time an unidentified object flew across the road to my side, narrowly missing my car before coming to rest in the grass. I went back to see if the guy was o.k. and he was fine. However, it was found that a section of the lawnmower blade had broken off and that was what I had seen being shot across the road. It was a narrow escape for the operator of the machine because the lump of sharp steel could easily have gone backwards towards his feet and for me because it could have come through the car window.

When the blade section was retrieved and examined it could be seen that it had been cracked for some time as there was evidence of corrosion along part of the break. He said that he had been using the same blade for a long time but had no reason to check it. Even if you check the lawnmower blade it may be difficult to see a tiny crack but there is no harm in having a look. It may also be a good idea to buy a new blade now and again.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

A narrow escape for both parties!

Have to admit, it's not something I've considered, though when cleaning then underside of the mower, I'd like to think I'd notice a crack on the blade.

I know I will be more observant in future though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

solas111 wrote: »
    The grass cutting season may be coming to an end and it will soon be time to put away the sometimes dreaded lawnmower for another year. Before you put the machine into a corner of the shed it may be wise to consider the following incident and to carry out a simple check.

As I travelled along a busy road close to my home a few days ago I passed a man who was cutting grass along the road verge close to his house. As I passed on the opposite side of the road I could see the man taking a jump backwards from the lawnmower and at the same time an unidentified object flew across the road to my side, narrowly missing my car before coming to rest in the grass. I went back to see if the guy was o.k. and he was fine. However, it was found that a section of the lawnmower blade had broken off and that was what I had seen being shot across the road. It was a narrow escape for the operator of the machine because the lump of sharp steel could easily have gone backwards towards his feet and for me because it could have come through the car window.

When the blade section was retrieved and examined it could be seen that it had been cracked for some time as there was evidence of corrosion along part of the break. He said that he had been using the same blade for a long time but had no reason to check it. Even if you check the lawnmower blade it may be difficult to see a tiny crack but there is no harm in having a look. It may also be a good idea to buy a new blade now and again.

Good advice there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Wow, I usually just clean the underside of lawnmower and oil and edge if necessary, never thought to check for cracks. Often see a bit of damage where a stone may gave hit the blade, but that is scary. My kids often follow me around pushing buggys or driving their tractors, how easily an accident can happen. Need to be more vigilant, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You want to check for cracks in a lawnmore blade...

There is man ways but a simple way i find is when you clean it rub black boot polish into the blade. as you brush it off the polish will lodge in the cracks. What i then do if i find a crack is determine if its growing by scratching the blade and watching if it grows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Wow, I usually just clean the underside of lawnmower and oil and edge if necessary, never thought to check for cracks. Often see a bit of damage where a stone may gave hit the blade, but that is scary. My kids often follow me around pushing buggys or driving their tractors, how easily an accident can happen. Need to be more vigilant, thanks.

Please dont allow this, mine are not even allowed outside when oh is cutting the lawn, it's so easy for a stone to something else hidden in the grass to hit them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement