Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Refusals & Appeals

Options
  • 26-09-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I received a letter from SUSI last Thursday delivering the bad news that my grant application had been unsuccessful. CDVEC are saying that my (household, I'm an independent mature student) reckonable income is above the threshold level. Based on last year, 2011, it would be (but only just)

However, I clearly stated on the application that I was on JSB from Oct 2011, and that I would be seeking the BTEA allowance from the SW.

Now It looks like I'm going to have to appeal this because they didn't take my change of circumstances into consideration when making their judgement.

I just wanted to see if their are similar cases out there, how you're dealing with them or if someone had this happen in a previous year how it turned out in the end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 45 thebutlerdidit

not sure why you are linking a previous thread here? I was asking if others had similar experience this year or any previous year?

I was hoping to get some advice on the appeal - not how to do it, but how to approach it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Appeal it straight away, if it is again refused (which it probably will) then appeal to the Dept of Education. It took me till the end of first year to finally get all my paperwork sorted and my fee's paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

not sure why you are linking a previous thread here? I was asking if others had similar experience this year or any previous year?

I was hoping to get some advice on the appeal - not how to do it, but how to approach it

You asked if anyone had experience of this. I answered! I'm not sure what you wanted!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I appealed mine, was refused on the basis of income despite change of circumstances as of very early this year. I sent in my appeal a few weeks ago and am still waiting to hear from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

Ask for consideration of the change in circumstances and send in evidence of all sources of current income. Even if they refuse it on the change appeal the decision. The first appeal will be to SUSI. If they refuse it you can then appeal directly to the Department of Education.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I appealed as well. I'm not too optimistic about the decision being overturned though, the income was over the threshold and I know that's what they'll say. Just so frustrating that last year I was able to get my fees paid and receive a maitenance grant, and this year I can't get anything despite a further reduction in income for 2011 compared to 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Hey guys my dad sent away my appeal form.. He put in wrong email address though and left out the underscores in my email address, he received a text earlier saying this "please check your email regarding outstanding documentation required by SUSI to process your student grant application"

Does this mean I will get the grant. My dad is retired guard and income has dropped a lot this year so just wondering if I will get it as I can't get the email and won't be able to contact them untill monday. If I was declined would they just have texted me saying that I was declined rather than asking me to provide documentation.

If anyone knows the documentation needed let me know please.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

Hi guys I spoke to SUSI yesterday and was told a checklist has been posted out to me that morning, the guy on the phone wasn't sure if that meant my appeal had been granted, but saw no reason why a checklist would be posted out if it hadn't.... any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

I received a letter from SUSI last Thursday delivering the bad news that my grant application had been unsuccessful. CDVEC are saying that my (household, I'm an independent mature student) reckonable income is above the threshold level. Based on last year, 2011, it would be (but only just)

However, I clearly stated on the application that I was on JSB from Oct 2011, and that I would be seeking the BTEA allowance from the SW.

Now It looks like I'm going to have to appeal this because they didn't take my change of circumstances into consideration when making their judgement.

I just wanted to see if their are similar cases out there, how you're dealing with them or if someone had this happen in a previous year how it turned out in the end.

So you earned like over €50000 from jan 2011-oct2011??
    Hmmm there are many more people out there who need that grant a lot more you!

Anyway SUSI were right to decline your grant. However if you contact them and request a reassessment because of a change of circumstances you'll get it. It's not really an appeal though because their original decision is correct though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    Hi guys I spoke to SUSI yesterday and was told a checklist has been posted out to me that morning, the guy on the phone wasn't sure if that meant my appeal had been granted, but saw no reason why a checklist would be posted out if it hadn't.... any thoughts?

Hi Ditzy - did you get any answer back on the appeal yet?

still waiting on the checklist, rang again today and was told it might take 2 weeks for them to post the checklist.... have a feeling ill be waiting until June to get a final decision.

I got a letter today confirming my appeal was successful and i've progressed to the next stage, have most my documents ready to send off just need to contact SW for spouses statement and old colleges :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

Hey guys my dad sent away my appeal form.. He put in wrong email address though and left out the underscores in my email address, he received a text earlier saying this "please check your email regarding outstanding documentation required by SUSI to process your student grant application"

Does this mean I will get the grant. My dad is retired guard and income has dropped a lot this year so just wondering if I will get it as I can't get the email and won't be able to contact them untill monday. If I was declined would they just have texted me saying that I was declined rather than asking me to provide documentation.

If anyone knows the documentation needed let me know please.

That's a generic email issued to pretty much every applicant.
    If you want to hear the status of the appeal, call the phone line they can tell you if your appeal form arrived or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LedZeppelin

Got letter saying I was awarded grant today. But it is HALF of what I got last year when I was with my local council despite no change in circumstances or anything.
    I really need to appeal it.

Just wondering if I submit an appeal will they hold off paying me what I was awarded until their decision on the appeal is made?
    or will I still get paid the lower amount while they decide?

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Got letter saying I was awarded grant today. But it is HALF of what I got last year when I was with my local council despite no change in circumstances or anything.
    I really need to appeal it.

Just wondering if I submit an appeal will they hold off paying me what I was awarded until their decision on the appeal is made?
    or will I still get paid the lower amount while they decide?

Thanks in advance!

If an applicant wishes to appeal an award, they may still submit their bank account details online and begin to receive an initial payment.

Following appeal, if the award is increased/decreased the payments will be adjusted appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 thebutlerdidit

augusta24 wrote: »
    So you earned like over €50000 from jan 2011-oct2011??
    Hmmm there are many more people out there who need that grant a lot more you!

Anyway SUSI were right to decline your grant. However if you contact them and request a reassessment because of a change of circumstances you'll get it. It's not really an appeal though because their original decision is correct though

augusta24 you're comments are pointless and not helpful to the thread.

augusta24 you're comments are pointless and not helpful to the thread.

Not sure how they are pointless and not helpful when I answered your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Just found out that I my appeal was successful and I now get the full non-adjacent rate, up from having to pay 50% of the contribution.

But do I get the previous grant payments that I missed in October and November this next payment date in December? Or is it just from December onwards that I get it?
    (Not on SUSI, still with the local VEC by the way)

Botulism wrote: »
    Just found out that I my appeal was successful and I now get the full non-adjacent rate, up from having to pay 50% of the contribution.

But do I get the previous grant payments that I missed in October and November this next payment date in December? Or is it just from December onwards that I get it?
    (Not on SUSI, still with the local VEC by the way)

They'll back date it so you'll get the whole thing. But my county council do three instalments in the year so you should get a payment soon enough that was technically due in September and then you'll get one around feb and then may.

Some councils may do it monthly though but either way you'll get the full years worth!

• Advertisement
Advertisement