Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comet ISON - Possible bright comet in 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

The last comet i photographed was Hyakutake (i think my spelling is ok!) with a roll of ilford 3200. Ah good times! Sigh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

shedweller wrote: »
    The last comet i photographed was Hyakutake (i think my spelling is ok!) with a roll of ilford 3200. Ah good times! Sigh!

When was that? The only comet I ever saw was Hale Bopp...around 1995 iirc? What a sight that was. Easily one of the most amazing things I have witnessed!

EDIT: Discovered 1995, visible 1997....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭emo72

hale bopp was the most amazing astronomical sight i have ever seen. was wondering when another great comet would visit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I too remember hall-bopp. Would of been 7 years old. Was a great sight. Hope we get to see one like it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ah yep, Hale-Bopp was super.

If this one is even half as good as they reckon, it will be spectacular!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I remember Hale Bopp too.

I read this one might even be visible during the day for a short time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Its path will take it very close to the Sun so it might break up. It might simply not deliver as expected. Its happened before where a comet was expected to be spectacular but it ended up being a damp squib.

However, they reckon there is the possibility that this comet might not just be a once in a lifetime event, but a once in a civilisations lifetime event. ie, best in a thousand years kind of thing.

Best of all. It'll be observable from the Northern Hemisphere!! We've been very unlucky up north since Hale Bopp. The southern Hemisphere have had several Hale Bopp beaters since '97 ie. McNaught and Lovejoy to name two.

That said, as long its as least as good as Hale bopp, I'll be happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Advertisement