Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Euro Bus like (Limerick city - U.L.)?

Options
  • 26-09-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    In the near future I'll have to commute regularly to UL from city centre and I've been considering alternatives to Bus Eireann (sort of inspired by their "improvements").

Thus candidate no.1 is the Euro Bus (website is down atm).
    I know they're cheaper but how reliable are they? (especially during the afternoon heading back to city centre where Bus Eireann is often a total fail)
    Do they do weekly / monthly commute tickets?
    Do they service the other UL stops apart from the Stables?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

A very reliable service, I find. Hourly service that leaves town at quarter to every hour on the dot and is at UL at around 5 to the hour, traffic permitting.

They have commuter tickets of 10 for €12, buy them from the driver.
    At UL the bus stops at the flagpoles (outside the Plassey Village entrance), and if the driver is sound (they usually are) they will stop at the small stop near the Kemmy Business School car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Much more reliable than BE....it's a pity they only go once an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭redron74

And the reason they can be more reliable is BECAUSE they only run once an hour.
    The problem with the Bus Eireann timetable is that it doesn't take account of traffic congestion. So if one bus gets delayed, that has a knock-on affect (which is often cumulative) for a number of hours afterwards. Bus Eireann don't have spare buses and drivers on standby to step in at 10-15 minutes notice to plug a gap that suddenly appears in their schedule.
    Bus Eireann really should be trying to schedule extra services during peak periods. I know this can be difficult to roster, but it should be do-able.

This problem is quite separate from the issues around the new routes and timetables brought in last week.

And I don't expect the issue to be resolved any time soon. I expect Budget 2013 will bring more spending cuts in public transport services and will probably lead to increased fares (increases in commuter ticket prices have already been announced).
    The problems with the Limerick City bus services will not be solved until the buses are taken out of the traffic congestion, i.e. we need a network of bus lanes throughout the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

:rolleyes:

Doesn't say much for the quality of the students in UL.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Itsdacraic wrote: »

Explain yourself, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ULMarc

A very reliable service, I find. Hourly service that leaves town at quarter to every hour on the dot and is at UL at around 5 to the hour, traffic permitting.

They have commuter tickets of 10 for €12, buy them from the driver.
    At UL the bus stops at the flagpoles (outside the Plassey Village entrance), and if the driver is sound (they usually are) they will stop at the small stop near the Kemmy Business School car park.

Goes at quarter to every hour? Well I'll reserve my opinions then because I always thought it looked as though they would just keep hanging around until full.

Explain yourself, please.

I don't need to. I see the post above mine already did.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't need to. I see the post above mine already did.

The post above yours says nothing about the "quality of students in UL". :confused:

The post above yours says nothing about the "quality of students in UL". :confused:

That he couldn't figure out the simple logic of why a bus that goes in and out of the city once an hour is more reliable than buses that make multiple runs in and out.

That he couldn't figure out the simple logic of why a bus that goes in and out of the city once an hour is more reliable than buses that make multiple runs in and out.

Ah, so my initial suspicion was the correct. You were just trying to wind people up. Trolling is not tolerated on this forum. Keep that in mind when you're posting here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Thanks folks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Err, I'm well aware as to why it is reliable, you don't need to insult me to make that point. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭redron74

Who runs/owns Eurobus these days anyway?
    I know the original licence was granted to Curtin Travel, but that's maybe 10 years ago now. Is this company still operating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

It leaves at twenty to the hour btw.

Advertisement