Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave for medical appointments while pregnant

Options
  • 26-09-2012 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Just wondering if anyone knows if time off for consultant,scan appointments which fall during working hours have to be taken from your regular annual leave entitlements? I've looked up citizen's information and the maternity protection act and while it is specified that you must be facilitated to attend appointments I'm still not clear if it's paid annual leave or special additional paid leave outside of annual leave entitlements.

If anyone could shed some light on it for me I'd appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

As far as I know it's not taken out of your annual leave.

How much time is considered appropriate for appointments though?
    My hospital is an hour & fifteen minutes approximately. So that two & a half hours there & back with no delays in traffic. Let's say the consultant is extra busy & running behind time so I'm delayed by another hour an top of the time for the appointment.
    Realistically a half day or even a day could be spent on an appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You must be given time off and it cannot be taken out of your annual leave.

girl in the striped socks - suggest you get an afternoon appointment or if there's a satellite clinic nearer your home that does evening appointments so you don't have to take any time off work except for the big scan to go to those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

As far as I know it's not taken out of your annual leave.

How much time is considered appropriate for appointments though?
    My hospital is an hour & fifteen minutes approximately. So that two & a half hours there & back with no delays in traffic. Let's say the consultant is extra busy & running behind time so I'm delayed by another hour an top of the time for the appointment.
    Realistically a half day or even a day could be spent on an appointment.

I'm in a similar situation, i organised early morning appointments - 9am so i left home at 7am and was back in work by 11/11.30am. It's a bit awkward because i've had to bring my little one with me as it's too early to drop him to Creche but it's the only way i can manage without taking a full half-day every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Lots of women in my workplace used to just take the day off. On my last pregnancy I went straight into work afterwards. I've got an app in a satellite clinic on Monday at 11am so I'll go into work after that as long as I get out before 2pm otherwise it's not worth my time.

Hopefully my other apps will be around 9am so I'll be in work by midday.

As for the leave/time to attend app question your employer must give you reasonable time to travel to/from and attend your app. It doesn't come out of your annual leave entitlement and it's not considered sick leave.

Advertisement