Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to find info on Kilmainham Gaol prisoner

Options
  • 26-09-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I'm starting a search on behalf of my elderly mum. Her father was a member of the IRA and was imprisoned Kilmainham for two years around 1919. He passed away in 1968 and never really talked about either his role in the IRA or his time in Kilmainham. My mum did try to find out information many years ago but was told that she had no chance because all records were burned by the English on their departure.

As a complete novice to undertaking such a search i'd be really obliged for any advice on how i might go about finding information relating to my grandads role in the IRA or his time in Kilmainham.

thanks a in advance.

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dr.Nightdub

A good place to start would be the Bureau of Military History - they took statements from over 1700 IRA veterans in the 1950s, he might be mentioned in one or some of them. You can search by name on their website: http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lbarry

thanks a mil Dr.Nightdub, will check it out.

much appreciated.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hi lbarry,
    There is a historian, Sinéad McCoole who has done extensive research into prisoners at Kilmainham during that period and she has written several books about it, albeit mostly about female prisoners. You could possibly ask her for some direction for your search here: http://www.sineadmccoole.com/contact.html :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lbarry

hey Miamee, many thanks for the link. Sounds like a brilliant place to start. thanks a mil.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

No problem at all and good luck :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement