Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court fees

Options
  • 26-09-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a compensation case coming up in the high court soon and I was told by my solicitor that theres "a really great chance that we'd win", it's not no win no fee but I did ask him that in the unlikely scenario of losing what would it cost me. I was told "don't worry you can't afford it". Does this seem likely to anyone with knowhow that I'm being duped or would it be the case that if it really wasn't likely that I'd win I wouldn't have been taken on in the first case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Marsden wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have a compensation case coming up in the high court soon and I was told by my solicitor that theres "a really great chance that we'd win", it's not no win no fee but I did ask him that in the unlikely scenario of losing what would it cost me. I was told "don't worry you can't afford it". Does this seem likely to anyone with knowhow that I'm being duped or would it be the case that if it really wasn't likely that I'd win I wouldn't have been taken on in the first case.

No solicitor takes in a no foal no fee case unless he believes he has a good chance of winning.

To get an idea of costs of a High Court personal injuries action to include stamp duty, solicitor, barrister SC and witness, could easly exceed 50k plus plus plus depending and that's only one sides costs. So unless you can lay your hands on that kinda money he was not duping you. BTW 50k is very low end.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I was told that my sides fee would be roughly 80k for the case but what worried me is that he wouldn't commit to saying it was no win no fee, just that I couldn't affors to pay if I did lose. Not the most comforting of words.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

You need to have a serious talk with your solicitor about this case.

NFNF may be OK, but if you lose and if costs are awarded against you, the person to whom the costs are awarded can chase you for it. Any property you have and any present or future earnings are at risk

Advertisement