Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cex Entertainment Exchange... horrible value

Options
  • 26-09-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I was looking at the second hand samsungs/iphones/ipods in Cex on Upper Liffey St. and was struck by the horrible value on offer. An example:

Galaxy S2 16 gb unlocked:

New Irish shop: €480
    Cex mint condition: €425
    New ebay: €380
    Adverts.ie mint condition: €250
    Ebay mint condition: €230

A similar valuation applies to the other stuff on sale. Has anyone traded in any electronics with Cex? How much did you get? Who are the mugs who buy from Cex?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was looking at the second hand samsungs/iphones/ipods in Cex on Upper Liffey St. and was struck by the horrible value on offer. An example:

Galaxy S2 16 gb unlocked:

New Irish shop: €480
    Cex mint condition: €425
    New ebay: €380
    Adverts.ie mint condition: €250
    Ebay mint condition: €230

A similar valuation applies to the other stuff on sale. Has anyone traded in any electronics with Cex? How much did you get? Who are the mugs who buy from Cex?

In fairness your comparing bricks and mortar established stores with nobody's on adverts/ebay . There is no comparison, one is a real store that stands over what it sells while the other can be fly by night guys who will sell you a stolen phone that will never work as it's blacklisted and will cause you a nightmare in trying to get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

As drunkmonkey said they stand over why they sell which is a massive bonus so I'd only be comparing them to a bricks and mortor store.

I've sold them a few but and pieces, you won't get as much as selling something on adverts, that said you leave it in with them they test it over a hour or two and then buy it from you. compared to what I've experienced on adverts over the last few years I'd rather take a lower price and have no dicking around, which I've found happening a lot more on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

Ok, you make fair points. But the galaxy s2 comes with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty and as it's not out two years yet they will repair any GS 2 no questions asked. Also it's caveat emptor and it's pretty safe to buy off ebay from someone with 1,000 feedback and paypal buyer protection. My main point is that people would go in there looking for a bargain on second hand gear. To get only a 10-20% discount over a brand new product is not worth it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ok, you make fair points. But the galaxy s2 comes with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty and as it's not out two years yet they will repair any GS 2 no questions asked. Also it's caveat emptor and it's pretty safe to buy off ebay from someone with 1,000 feedback and paypal buyer protection. My main point is that people would go in there looking for a bargain on second hand gear. To get only a 10-20% discount over a brand new product is not worth it.

Repair a phone no questions asked?

MarkR wrote: »
    Repair a phone no questions asked?

Yea, I dropped my GS2 into fonemenders in the GPO arcade the other day, no receipt or anything (although I have one) and as it wasn't a basic issue they sent it off to Samsung to be repaired. If it was a simple issue they would have done it in under 24 hours and invoiced samsung for the bill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

In fairness, you're again being a bit off.
    They sell phones in 3 grades.
    A,B,C depending on the condition.

The price you quoted is for an unlocked A grade

http://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SSAMI910016GBUNLA

But you can get a Galaxy S 2 for as little as €320 according to their website.

http://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SSAMI910016GBMETC

In fairness, you're again being a bit off.
    They sell phones in 3 grades.
    A,B,C depending on the condition.

The price you quoted is for an unlocked A grade

http://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SSAMI910016GBUNLA

But you can get a Galaxy S 2 for as little as €320 according to their website.

http://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SSAMI910016GBMETC

I was comparing like with like... all A grades was I not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I was comparing like with like... all A grades was I not?

I'm sorry, but maybe I took you up wrong when you said.
    My main point is that people would go in there looking for a bargain on second hand gear.

If I could get a phone on the network I use for €100-€150 less than it would be to buy it new I'd see it as a bargain.
    And the fact that you can walk out the door with it. rather than having to wait a week or so for it to be posted also helps.

You will always get it cheaper buying privately, but that's the same with everything like.

Advertisement