Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volume control on PC or amp?

Options
  • 26-09-2012 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

I have Q Acoustics Q2010i speakers connected to my PC via a Sonic Impact T-Amp. [This amp was superb for its price, but apparently it is no longer being produced].

At the moment I set the volume at about 40% on the amp and adjust it on the PC (generally around 50%). Does it make any difference which you adjust, or which you have set high or low? -With respect to sound quality, wear and tear on the amp, and wear and tear on the speakers.

The amp was cheap and >10 years old but it seems like it would be more expensive to replace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Given the poor noise floor of most PC cards I'd go with keeping the PC output high and the amplifier low. This will ensure the wanted audio from the PC is well above the noise floor (SNR). The amplifier looks decent so should have a pretty high SNR so operating it at low volumes won't be as much an issue.

Open to debate though !

Ken

Advertisement