Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FLOSS in French government agencies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Great news - hopefully this will lead to even better software...

And other governments joining the free software gig!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I understood that they have been using FOSS for a number of years but I think in many countries it's individual departments adopting some FOSS solutions that fit rather than a fundamental decision to adopt FOSS across the board.

A BPM tool I use called Bonitasoft seems to have been used by a number of French departments.
    http://www.bonitasoft.com/customers/customer-references?country=All&term_node_tid_depth_1=All&term_node_tid_depth_2=All&page=1

It is a great tool so I'm not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I'm not a MS head before you attack ... but the fact is that Libre Office or any of the other open source office suites just don't cut it in corporate environments. Show it to the average marketing head and they will run screaming for the hills.

Look at how poor the uptake has been for Google Docs - and that offers collaboration not available in pretty much anything else.

It's all about formatting and styles .... style before substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Can you explain link between Google-Docs and the open source? I'm missing something here..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

professore wrote: »
    I'm not a MS head before you attack ... but the fact is that Libre Office or any of the other open source office suites just don't cut it in corporate environments. Show it to the average marketing head and they will run screaming for the hills.

Look at how poor the uptake has been for Google Docs - and that offers collaboration not available in pretty much anything else.

It's all about formatting and styles .... style before substance.

Heads of Marketing may not know any better. I remember when I was dealing with one Marketing manager in my old job that they had a list of dates in an excel document. They took out a calculator and were carefully typing each one into the calculator to see how many years were between each date... and then typing the number back into excel.

You'd be amazed how much of an effect inertia has in a company...

Anyway to summarise - that's a load of baloney, show me something that is so very vital that Libre Office can't do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

professore, that's for you:

http://decentralist.wordpress.com/2012/10/01/libreoffice-vs-openoffice-not-always-simple/

"The surprising part is that MS Excel fails my needs even with working with its own .xlsx spreadsheet format. I need to hide 130 columns and Excel 2010 warns me “Cannot shift objects off sheet.” Prior Excel versions had the same problem. I’ve spent some effort looking for a solution, but the only thing I found to work is opening in an open source office suite."

Advertisement