Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT in final year of college realistic/advisable??

Options
  • 26-09-2012 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I sat the UK Gamsat there last week but I don't think it went great. I hadn't done science since LC and so I just hadn't prepared sufficiently for Section 3 by the time it came around. However, I do feel I have a good handle now on what's required and where I need to brush up. The exam seems much more manageable now that I have actually sat it.

I'm starting the final year of my degree now and I'm wondering whether it is realistic to do the Irish Gamsat in March? This will be about 6 weeks or so before my final exams. Have people done/achieved this?

I have a fear that I could fall between two stones and not get Gamsat nor do well in my finals. Which would be a disaster. After all, I can sit Gamsat as many times as I wish but I have only this one shot at my degree. The 2.1 requirement aside, it's extremely important I do well in my degree.

I guess a lot depends on what result I get in the UK one. Is it considered possible to greatly improve ones score with just a few hours here and there over a few months? ( Which is all I could give it this year, being so busy with study for degree)

So what do people think? Has anyone encountered the same problem? Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Agnieszka_88

I don't think I'd risk so much if I were you. I'm also in my last year (doing a M.Sc., though) and I'd never ever manage preparing for GAMSAT around my university schedule. So my advice is: pass your exams, get a job for a year or two to save some money (unless you don't need to, but I've heard that banks are cutting the GEM loans, so better be safe than sorry imo), get some experience and apply next year. Unless you're certain that you can manage both, but your post says you're not, so yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yit

I did the GAMSAT in my final year, whilst doing my thesis, and also while working part time. Narrowly missed out on GEM but still did very well in my final year results. If you're prepared to find time to fit everything in, even if it means a few late nights here and there, then it's definitely manageable. If you take into account the amount of time you would probably spend/waste on facebook/twitter/youtube/boards etc. it's not that much of an ask to convert that wasted time into study time

Advertisement