Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divorce (DIY) what's involved?

Options
  • 26-09-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all, I am seperated from my wife for 4 years this month, I was supposed to go to court a few months back for a judicial seperation but my wife contacted my at last minute to say she couldn't attend court blah blah...

I wanted to got through a judicial seperation in order to guarantee a divorce (as advised by solicitor) but now I feel I can just apply for a divorce as we have NO KIDS NO PROPERTY etc.. as we have been seperated for 4 years now. Is this correct?

Can anyone advise what my options are regards DIY divorce? I would like to try do it myself, my wife will agree to the divorce as I spoke to her a short time ago.

Do we both have to attend court?
    What do I need to do?
    Any good websites/info?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Hi all, I am seperated from my wife for 4 years this month, I was supposed to go to court a few months back for a judicial seperation but my wife contacted my at last minute to say she couldn't attend court blah blah...

I wanted to got through a judicial seperation in order to guarantee a divorce (as advised by solicitor) but now I feel I can just apply for a divorce as we have NO KIDS NO PROPERTY etc.. as we have been seperated for 4 years now. Is this correct?

Can anyone advise what my options are regards DIY divorce? I would like to try do it myself, my wife will agree to the divorce as I spoke to her a short time ago.

Do we both have to attend court?
    What do I need to do?
    Any good websites/info?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Hard to believe that anyone (her or you) would just go for Divorce with no legal separation and therefore no legal advice. Maybe I'm wrong but it would be very easy for either side to come back, and have the stipulations set aside claiming they were ignorant of what they signed. Think of what your wedding cost - and spend a fraction of it on a little legal advice my friend ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

My parents are getting divorced at the moment, my mum is doing DIY, dad has a solicitor. My mum files everything herself, represents herself in court, etc. Dad doesn't have to go to court unless he wants to. So far my mum is fairly pleased with it, there's a guy she can call whenever she has questions over anything and everything is going fairly well. However, my parents are legally separated for 5 years now and the assets were divided back then and my sister and I are both over 18, so there's nothing really left to fight over (but there still is fighting!). It cost her €600, my dad's bill will be at least €2000.
    My mum's friend got divorced last year, even though her and her husband weren't legally separated and he'd only moved out the year before. Apparently its backdated to whatever date the two of you agreed your marriage was over.

Advertisement