Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Stubborn Garda Virus

Options
  • 26-09-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

I am booting into safe mode and I can't kill this! I cannot close the process as task manager refuses to open! Alt+Tab seems disabled as does Alt+F4.

I tried the command prompt from system repair options but cannot run Combofix.exe or OTL.exe from there. What other options have I? Win7 SP1.

Also, I think it is a new strain as previous screenshots are not like this:
    Thanks for reading!
    548695_473625012658039_381342363_n.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Went into repair my computer from the F8 keypress at windows boot. Used command prompt and copied combofix.exe from a USB stick into the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder. Restarted my PC and now Combofix is doing a scan... fingers crossed!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

post the combofix log when its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

What I did to get rid of a similar virus was to do a system restore, funny how it seems, it does get rid of virus.

A word of warning it might get rid of previous documents made on the day. The only way to back up newly made documents in case it does, is to go into safe mode...

Its not called the garda virus, it is better known as the UKASH virus.

Another word it is best not to post your IP address online....

How to do a system restore
    Restart computer hit F8 repeatedly until you get into the windows repair console
    Select Recovery
    When you have selected your keyboard preference etc...you should get a option to do a system restore just click on that and reboot after it has restored to the previous point before
    Just do a virus scan just in case it is still there, you never know
    Also, download malwarebytes anti malware, if it picks anything up, let the anti malware delete it not MSE
    Also, google McAfee's Stinger, yup, just another precautionary tale

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    A system restore is a last ditch effort and its not recommended unless you have no other options. Plus a system restore wont fix certain infections like TDL and the like.

I had done everything the internet told me to do, download this and that, not freeware and those had options to delete the offending file(s) disabled unless I bought the software, had a photo shoot to do later that day.

I had tried system restore because I thought I try that before re-installing Windows, which in my opinion is the last extreme option

I had not heard of the TDL virus, thankfully I don't go to sites where that virus is likely to lurk

The UKASH virus came from a legit site that I had visited, I was downloading some photoshop actions when the "Met Police" screen came up

• Advertisement
Advertisement