Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Tri-Club in Dublin to Join???

Options
  • 26-09-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi.

Im just asking for some help or opinions on which Tri - club be the best option to join up with. Taking into consideration im living in the phibsboro area of the city on the north circular road so not far from the park. My only form of transportation is my bike i go everywhere on it so distance to training i.e swimming could be difficult to get to if far away from myself. Iv never compete in a full tri-athlon although iv done adventure races and du-athlons and im a fairly competent swimmer!(I Think)haha.

Which club would anyone feel would suit me best??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

what can you do for the club?
    pk88 wrote: »
    Hi.

Im just asking for some help or opinions on which Tri - club be the best option to join up with. Taking into consideration im living in the phibsboro area of the city on the north circular road so not far from the park. My only form of transportation is my bike i go everywhere on it so distance to training i.e swimming could be difficult to get to if far away from myself. Iv never compete in a full tri-athlon although iv done adventure races and du-athlons and im a fairly competent swimmer!(I Think)haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hi.

Did you ever play GAA?

if you are willing to be a member that does his share off work for the club, 3d tri would the one I would think is most suited for you.
    but rember its not only whats best for you its also important that you are good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Hi.

You've loads of options - what might help is what you'd hope to get from joining a club ? theres a list of Dublin based clubs on the TI website (Im sure) - if you snoop through that and the related websites to get an idea of their weekly training timetables it might give you an answer regarding what club suits you.

interested wrote: »
    You've loads of options - what might help is what you'd hope to get from joining a club ? theres a list of Dublin based clubs on the TI website (Im sure) - if you snoop through that and the related websites to get an idea of their weekly training timetables it might give you an answer regarding what club suits you.

I always wondered as to the point of a weekly training timetable. So generic as to be pointless no?

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    if you are willing to be a member that does his share off work for the club, 3d tri would the one I would think is most suited for you.
    but rember its not only whats best for you its also important that you are good for them.

3dtri are good and local to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

tunney wrote: »
    I always wondered as to the point of a weekly training timetable. So generic as to be pointless no?
    not really, if a tri club has 3 swim sessions a week and you cant make 2 but another club you can make 3. how is it pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pk88

Iv played gaa up till the last year why??cheers for the info!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

tunney wrote: »
    So generic as to be pointless no?

Surely generic is exactly what some people are looking for? Enough to go the distance (initially), with scope for gradual improvement. People can see where they stand then go from there. For those at the sharper end of things, sure your training would suffer from being similar (generic) or less focused than your competitors.

And pk88 your leg is being pulled a bit ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was picking between 3D and pulse. My main reason for joining a club was the swim sessions, main form of transport is the bike for me too so it was a no brainer to pick pulse. Would never have stuck it out with 3D.

Anyway, 3D do some swimming in Belvo, do some running in the park and from memory meet up for cycles in the park too. If it's your nearest club you're looking for it's probably 3D.

Though pulse are better (duh) and run in the park, do brick sessions in the park and I'm sure many pulsers would happily start a cycle from the park even if they don't pulse cycles start in Tallagh which is only a short cycle from Phibsbooro and the extra distance to commute to and from Tallaght would do you no harm at all. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Hi.

From a logistical perspective I think 3D would be the best fit for you. As mentioned their running and cycling sessions start in the Phoenix Park and their swim sessions are just down the road in Belvedere College Pool near Temple St.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Iv played gaa up till the last year why??cheers for the info!!

Word of warning! There are a few people on this forum who try very hard to be smart/funny and tend to give smart ass, unhelpful answers.
    The GAA question was taking the piss, ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Word of warning! There are a few people on this forum who try very hard to be smart/funny and tend to give smart ass, unhelpful answers.
    The GAA question was taking the piss, ignore it.

He's right, ignore it and stick around as you'll learn loads on this forum. Consider it an initiation...those people can actually be very helpful when they want to be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pk88

haha I think ill get over it!!

interested wrote: »

I would be careful with current timetables as clubs are likely to change timetibles for the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I tried one night in the swimming pool with 3D and decided it was not for me.
    I thought the atmosphere was very intimidating and unfriendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Check out Piranha Tri. I'm a member with them and they are pure lovely.

While there will always be the banter and smack talk, they are great for advice and support.

Check out their website forum for an indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

mithril wrote: »
    I tried one night in the swimming pool with 3D and decided it was not for me.
    I thought the atmosphere was very intimidating and unfriendly.

I'm stunned (and disappointed) to read that! I'm a member of 3D and while it's been a while since I was new to the club I find it a very encouraging atmosphere and exceptionally friendly.

What swim session were you at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

onimpulse wrote: »
    I'm stunned (and disappointed) to read that! I'm a member of 3D and while it's been a while since I was new to the club I find it a very encouraging atmosphere and exceptionally friendly.

I wouldn't take it too personally, sometimes group swim sessions aren't for everyone and it can become a little competitive. That's not always a bad thing. Sometimes I've been tired enough afterwards that I don't really feel like talking, I just want to get changed and get home to eat. I'm pretty sure that's taken as me being unfriendly sometimes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Do ye have many at your own sessions Couerdelion? I'm moving to Castleknock soon and am keeping my options open re: clubs. In a cycling club out that way already but it's my swim that needs the most work so need to get my a$$ in gear in that respect. Group runs sound good too. (Sorry your website hurts my face! Perhaps it's my browser?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

onimpulse wrote: »

I have taken this off-line. I won't comment further here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

@Peter Kern

You seem to be the voice of reason here.

You ask what a person can do for the Tri club. What exactly do you mean by that?

Cheers

(no reply from Tunny required thanks)

Basster wrote: »
    Do ye have many at your own sessions Couerdelion? I'm moving to Castleknock soon and am keeping my options open re: clubs. In a cycling club out that way already but it's my swim that needs the most work so need to get my a$$ in gear in that respect. Group runs sound good too. (Sorry your website hurts my face! Perhaps it's my browser?)

It depends, Thursday mornings are usually quiet enough with up to 10 people swimming in 2 lanes @ 50m format. Can't remember it ever being busier than that. Mondays nights would be similar with a max of 5-6 per lane but in 25m format. It's rare that there is that many though, last week we had 3 per lane and 3-4 is more usual.

Website is a 'work in progreess' (I think) could really do with updating using new logo but it was put up quickly last year just so we had somewhere people could see us.

Runs are kinda on hold at the moment whilst the season has finished and people are waiting to start preseason again, but should be back for November/December.
    Drop me a pm if you fancy coming down to try a swim session.

tummey would actually know more about this than i do...as he was heavily involved in one club and I think founded another.
    I am not even a member of a club as I work with people from many clubs. and since i dodnt believe in nations and club borders i think every club can be the best club depending on what one is looking for and a lot of clubs do great work.
    it made me smile when read about the person that complained about 3d as they have one of the best club swim sessions of an irish tri club...

but what i mean with what people can do for a club is that a club cant work without many people making it work. so a club can only be as good as its members . What very often happens is only a handful people doing a lot of work and a lot of people think that 100 euro a year is all they have to contribute to the club. so you wan to be in the best club you have to help to make it the best club...

if you are an complete beginner you can offer to help to volunteer at time trials as a marshal or help as a time keeper for time trials.
    Or just be available when work needs to be done you can help with
    help that a place is as clean after you leave than it was before.
    ie stuff is in the same place as it was before
    if you have to move stuff at a turbo session, people will love you for this and usually this Job stays with the guy that has already done all the organisation work and really should not have to look after this )

The most important thing is that you are there for the club race as their is plenty of work in the week leading to the race. prepare goodie backs help to built up the bike racks etc etc.

pay when you asked to pay and dont let you be asked 5 times is another aspect that makes a good club member.

and remember pretty much all people in a club are volunteers and they make mistakes or have different opinions than you, try to complain as less as possible unless you are willing to take on such a position.
    and lastly dont forget to invite those people for a pint that do a lot of work for a club.

and dont think you are a victim and unwelcome when you go to the first session and not everybody talks to you ;-) often if you smile people will smile at you, if you talk to people they will talk to you ............so never expect the other side to make an effort make the effort yourself and you will be happy in any club.

@Peter Kern

You seem to be the voice of reason here.

You ask what a person can do for the Tri club. What exactly do you mean by that?

Cheers

(no reply from Tunny required thanks)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tummey would actually know more about this than i do...as he was heavily involved in one club and I think founded another.
    I am not even a member of a club as I work with people from many clubs. and since i dodnt believe in nations and club borders i think every club can be the best club depending on what one is looking for and a lot of clubs do great work.
    it made me smile when read about the person that complained about 3d as they have one of the best club swim sessions of an irish tri club...

but what i mean with what people can do for a club is that a club cant work without many people making it work. so a club can only be as good as its members . What very often happens is only a handful people doing a lot of work and a lot of people think that 100 euro a year is all they have to contribute to the club. so you wan to be in the best club you have to help to make it the best club...

if you are an complete beginner you can offer to help to volunteer at time trials as a marshal or help as a time keeper for time trials.
    Or just be available when work needs to be done you can help with
    help that a place is as clean after you leave than it was before.
    ie stuff is in the same place as it was before
    if you have to move stuff at a turbo session, people will love you for this and usually this Job stays with the guy that has already done all the organisation work and really should not have to look after this )

The most important thing is that you are there for the club race as their is plenty of work in the week leading to the race. prepare goodie backs help to built up the bike racks etc etc.

pay when you asked to pay and dont let you be asked 5 times is another aspect that makes a good club member.

and remember pretty much all people in a club are volunteers and they make mistakes or have different opinions than you, try to complain as less as possible unless you are willing to take on such a position.
    and lastly dont forget to invite those people for a pint that do a lot of work for a club.

and dont think you are a victim and unwelcome when you go to the first session and not everybody talks to you ;-) often if you smile people will smile at you, if you talk to people they will talk to you ............so never expect the other side to make an effort make the effort yourself and you will be happy in any club.

Brilliant post Peter, and I think every club in Ireland should put this on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VeryWestHam

Depends where you live and what discipline you need to improve most. Some are great for organised cycling, others emphasise swim / run etc

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Great posts guys!

As a member of NAC, I see a few tri clubs swim out of there.

I am north side Dublin (D.11) and would be interested in joining a club to do my first triathlon next year.

Can anyone recommend a club that someone can casually attend (obviously pay full membership). The reason I ask is I work a job with long and irregular hours, and attending regular sessions may not always work for me. I dont want to join a club and perhaps not be welcome because of erratic attendance, which would not be a sign of lack of commitment in my case!

Thanks!

JohnBee wrote: »
    Great posts guys!

I am north side Dublin (D.11) and would be interested in joining a club to do my first triathlon next year.

Can anyone recommend a club that someone can casually attend (obviously pay full membership). The reason I ask is I work a job with long and irregular hours, and attending regular sessions may not always work for me. I dont want to join a club and perhaps not be welcome because of erratic attendance, which would not be a sign of lack of commitment in my case!

Thanks!

I'll recommend my club - Activ Multisport.
    We're based out of the NAC and we don't organise a race so don't need or expect as much from members.

There are other Northside clubs 3d and Fingal to name a couple, I know members of both and they like their clubs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

JohnBee wrote: »
    Great posts guys!

Thanks!

Hi JohnBee,

I'm a long time member of 3D Tri. You may have seen us in the NAC on a Wednesday evening from 8:30 these days. Many of our members are also NAC members so swim there outside those hours aswell. We also swim on Monday & Thursday evenings in Belvedere. Run sessions meet at Polo Grounds in the Phoenix Park at 9:30 on Saturdays ( and typically end in the Visitor Centre Cafe for carrot cake!!) and Sunday cycles meet also at 9:30 but at Papal Cross carpark. Sadly, they dont always end with carrot cake but this is an initiative i'm working on!!
    Lots of club members live near the park and train there outside of organised club sessions. No roll calls are taken and erratic attendance will probably make you seem cool as it suggests you have a life outside the sport!!

As you live in D11 tho the Fingal guys might be a good option too. I know they train in the NAC aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Hi Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement