Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac V Macbook - Pros and Cons

Options
  • 26-09-2012 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I did get some helpful advice from another thread with regard to a few questions I had in relation to the Macbook but since that I have been drawn to the iMac. Apart from as another poster called it 'lugability' can anyone suggest any other pros or cons of either of the above.

And is the current os lion or snow leopard or is there a new system due shortly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

got an iMac 27" and a 17" macbook pro - different machines for different jobs but i tend to use the iMac more because of the bigger screen.

Both machines are running Mountain Lion with no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

jdee99 wrote: »
    got an iMac 27" and a 17" macbook pro - different machines for different jobs but i tend to use the iMac more because of the bigger screen.

Both machines are running Mountain Lion with no problems

If only I could have them both! :(

Also, what does apple mean when they refer to their certified refurbished products store? They seem a little cheaper but does that mean they were previously owned?

My redundancy money paid for them before she got her hands on the divorce settlement:cool:

If they are refurbished they are supposed to be as new - my original iMac was a refurbished model but it had problems and I ended up getting a brand new top of the range replacement. They are certainly new case's and screen's come boxed as new and with the same warranty agreement as a new model.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Refurb can be as simple as a change of mind - It can't be sold as new again. You can get some back with problems that are repaired. iPads get new casings, the iMacs, minis etc don't. Very unusual to get a replacement if a refurb is faulty, they will usually only refund on a refurb, as there won't be the equivalent in stock to replace. The refurbs come in plainer boxes too, not the full shop version.

• Advertisement

My refurb iMac went back three times for repair and in the end they agreed to replace it with a brand new one complete with then new Thunderbolt connection - top of the line model - very pleased with it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jose-fahartose

My refurb iMac went back three times for repair and in the end they agreed to replace it with a brand new one complete with then new Thunderbolt connection - top of the line model - very pleased with it :-)

What kind of problems did you have with it out of interest?

Ya I have heard alot about thunderbolt...haven't a clue what it is, someone else told me it's just a port that isn't really working yet...but they are getting reading for some new os and that the thunderbolt will fire this quicker or something along those lines :cool:

The DVD wouldnt burn all the time and the screen developed some dead pixels (about 6) took in for replacement screen and that had a fault as well so Apple agreed to replace the unit with the new one.

I believe there is thunderbolt displays and data storage now available but http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/ explains all

Advertisement