Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time capsule with mobile broadband

Options
  • 26-09-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi everyone - first time posting in this section (although have stalked it for a while!) so please excuse me if I make any mistakes or say stuff that's not allowed mods!

I've a macbook pro winging it's way from the States in the next few days. I've owned a macbook for the last seven years and it's time to update (random startup disk full messages and issues with charging, even after a new battery fitted). I'm a total apple fan - have the iPad 3, appleTV2 and also an iPhone 4S.

My question is - is the time capsule any good? Need an external hard drive, but have mobile broadband (o2 hotshot) so don't know if it'll work like an airport express as well as anything I've read is more geared towards proper broadband, but that's not an option where I live.

What do ye think oh wise ones? smile.png
    p.s. I'm not very technological - I love the apple stuff because it's easy to work, and most importantly, I like pretty things!

pps - I went and posted this in Apple Media Devices instead of here - the blondness is showing through!:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don't think mobile broadband would cut it. Usually the data allowance is very low. It's usually around 20GB per month. Which when compared to UPC's 500GB p/m it's tiny. It would eat threw your monthly usage i'd say. I actually have proper fixed line broadband but I just went with a normal Hard Drive to back up to. Got one with FireWire support for quicker transfer speeds.

But then again, and i'm not 100% sure, I don't know if it actually uses internet usage when connecting the two. I think it could use the hotspot as a wireless base and go through that. But still the max speeds for hotspots are usually 7.2MB/s so it's still gonna cause speed problems. Maybe another Boardsie can better explain it who knows how the whole wifi thing works.

Probably a normal HDD would be better on both function and price though.

Advertisement