Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Vetting

Options
  • 26-09-2012 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I want to volunteer in a primary school setting with special needs to get experience for entry to a postgrad course when I come back to Ireland in March. I know I'll need Garda Vetting to do this. How long does it take to get at the moment roughly? And also, can I start the process myself (as a Garda told my mum), or do I need a form from the school I will be volunteering in (as it says on the garda.ie website - probably this one!) Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

I think that applying through an organisation speeds up the process, you can get Garda clearance but I think that's primarily for visa applications and that type of thing. You need new Garda clearance for any organisation that you're associated with that works with vulnerable people. It's a pain but I also think that that system is due to be changed but I don't know when. Anyway, I'd say that your best bet is to contact some organisations that you want to volunteer with and ask them to apply on your behalf if they're happy for you to volunteer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kadder

You can't getting vetting yourself. It must be done via the organisation that you intend to work/volunteer with. This is to protect the integrity of the information. The organisation should give you a form which you fill in before beginning your volunteering. Waiting time at the moment is about 8/9 weeks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

My wife has missed out on a job due to vetting, make sure its done early. She applied for the job within the allowed time criteria but the vetting is taking too long to come back. She already has clearance for the place of work but the agency require it and it has to be a separate application. This is her third time to apply for clearance, I cannot understand why the garda have to do the whole process from scratch each time for each person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

TomTom wrote: »
    My wife has missed out on a job due to vetting, make sure its done early. She applied for the job within the allowed time criteria but the vetting is taking too long to come back. She already has clearance for the place of work but the agency require it and it has to be a separate application. This is her third time to apply for clearance, I cannot understand why the garda have to do the whole process from scratch each time for each person.

I get vetted Frequently i can't understand it either, but People may have being convicted of an offence between last vetting so although painful to wait they are doing there job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 excalibur the swordsman

Your school will give you the form. It takes 3 to 4 months to get approved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Barcafan11

I enquired through my local Garda Station last year, and I was given a number to call about starting the vetting process. (It is all done down in Thurles from what I was told and YES YOU CANN GET IT DONE YOURSELF). I didnt need it for a job at the time, but wanted to have it in case I did get job that requires it. As usual, in this country most of the state run organisations are still heavily reliant on the old pen and paper, which I can imagine is the only reason why it can take so long. I didnt end up pursuing it though but will probably look further into it later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 volunteersdub

Barcafan11 wrote: »
    I enquired through my local Garda Station last year, and I was given a number to call about starting the vetting process. (It is all done down in Thurles from what I was told and YES YOU CANN GET IT DONE YOURSELF). I didnt need it for a job at the time, but wanted to have it in case I did get job that requires it. As usual, in this country most of the state run organisations are still heavily reliant on the old pen and paper, which I can imagine is the only reason why it can take so long. I didnt end up pursuing it though but will probably look further into it later in the year.

I think you'll find that if you ring the vetting unit and ask them to give you vetting, they will quickly inform you that you CAN'T get vetting done yourself. You can get a police certificate (for visa purposes) but Garda Vetting is only issued to specially trained authorised signatories within organisations.

Also the reason it takes so long is not to do with pen/paper and organisations but to do with the current law of the land. Data protection means that all forms have to be submitted to the Garda Vetting Unit and it is there that the delay is occurring.

Advertisement