Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAN games via wifi

Options
  • 25-09-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi

I've bought 2 X Dell Optiplex GX520, (see below for spec) for my 2 oldest kids. We currently have a desktop at home using Eircom landline Broadband we have wifi up and running which we use with a laptop and iphones. Years ago I used to play multiplayer quake/Half life etc on a wired network. I intend setting up an ad hoc network and was hoping to be able to play some of these with my 9 year old, I was wondering do multiplayer games need any additional features to play over wifi or will they definately play once they have LAN mode.

Intel 3.0GHz processor
    1 GB RAM
    80GB Hard drive
    17" TFT Screen
    DVD/CD drive
    b/g/n WiFi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theres no need to set up any further networking, your eircom router is fine, just connect all to that and ensure local firewalls on each PC arent blocking the games.

BuuuuuuuUUUUT. Those machines suck, big time. I hope you didnt pay much(more than €50 each) for them. They will play quake alright, but anything newer than that....that'd be problematic. And they arent worth upgrading either really.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

No, didn't pay much for them.

Thanks for the answer.

Advertisement