Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm buying a PC and need guidance

Options
  • 25-09-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    I'm planning on buying a PC and looking for something which will last me same time as my current laptop (7-8 years). I would also like to have a graphics card included to give me the option to load on some basic 3d software in future. Other than that I'm quite open.

The very top end of my budget is 1300euro so I was thinking of getting the apple i-mac. The 1300 should include basic MS software etc.

Any thoughts advice appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mlekelly wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm planning on buying a PC and looking for something which will last me same time as my current laptop (7-8 years). I would also like to have a graphics card included to give me the option to load on some basic 3d software in future. Other than that I'm quite open.

The very top end of my budget is 1300euro so I was thinking of getting the apple i-mac. The 1300 should include basic MS software etc.

Any thoughts advice appreciated!

If €1300 including software licensing is your budget then I seriously doubt an iMac would be a contender unless second hand. Would you be interested in building?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

1300 Euro will buy you a very decent PC, are you willing to buy online? Much better offers available than in high-street shops including better customisation option.
    I bought from Overclockers UK last year and am very happy with my beast of a machine :P (Intel I5 K2500 @ 3.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Geforce GTX 570, 64 GB SSD, 500 GB HDD).
    I would also advise against Apple, less choice in software, more expensive generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I have both a PC that I built and an iMac. You'll get more choice with the hardware on a PC ( like the GPU)and if you game at all you will definitely want a PC. €1300 will get you a very good one if you build it. Which is very easy to do. With the iMac you'll get great support, a simple elegant OS and a wonderful iLife software suite. Plus, the resale value on the iMac is fantastic. It's a waste though if all your doing is basically web browsing and not using the software that comes with it. Check to see if the 3D software your going to use will run on OSX. You could run it in Bootcamp but, then you might as well just get a PC. Both are good choices. You just need to weigh it up on your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mlekelly

Yoyo pretty sure I can get the lower end i-mac for 1168euro and add on some software to make it compatible with MS office 120euro and I'm off.
    I would consider building but unless there was a real substantial saving I think I'd like to go down the apple route with software etc.

Morgana and Uncle Sam: Thanks for that info, yeah I'd definitely be up for buying on line but I imagine if I go down the apple route the saving would be minimal??

I will spend more time to consider what software I intend using to make sure the 3D side of it is compatible, as for gaming I don't have interest on that end.
    A piece of background; my wife has a sony vaio so having the apple software won't fully restrict me from any programs which only run on windows. I haven't ruled out building but I am leaning towards apple!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mlekelly wrote: »
    Yoyo pretty sure I can get the lower end i-mac for 1168euro and add on some software to make it compatible with MS office 120euro and I'm off.
    I would consider building but unless there was a real substantial saving I think I'd like to go down the apple route with software etc.

Morgana and Uncle Sam: Thanks for that info, yeah I'd definitely be up for buying on line but I imagine if I go down the apple route the saving would be minimal??

I will spend more time to consider what software I intend using to make sure the 3D side of it is compatible, as for gaming I don't have interest on that end.
    A piece of background; my wife has a sony vaio so having the apple software won't fully restrict me from any programs which only run on windows. I haven't ruled out building but I am leaning towards apple!

When you said MS software I thought you would have needed a license for windows as well (that can run on Mac, your talking around €100 minimum for Windows 7 pro license, office something similar/more) :).
    A Mac will cost you more upfront, the so called "Mac Tax", you will get a much better pc spec (even from the likes of Dell) for cheaper. But it all boils down to what you want, try out the Mac and OSX, then try Windows 7, see which of them you prefare, and also see what operating systems your 3d software are restricted to. Another thing to remember is that windows and Mac licenses are not transferable, so if you have a license for software x on windows, the Mac equivelent version will need another purchase.

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    A Mac will cost you more upfront, the so called "Mac Tax", you will get a much better pc spec (even from the likes of Dell) for cheaper.

Nick

Yes but, because the hardware is selected by Apple, OSX is optimised for it . So, it will run fast even though it's lower spec then a Dell. I also think the support and software that comes with the iMac plus the ISP screen makes the "Mac Tax" worth it.

DON'T buy an iMac right now though because, they're due for an update soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mlekelly

Well it seems they are pros and cons to buying the Mac but nothing too surprising. I'll probably go with the mac in the end.

uncle Sam have you any idea when they are bringing out an update or are you just saying its due?

I wouldn't buy one now they're due for an update soon but, it's all rumors as to when. It could be the next couple of weeks. The last up date was in May of 2011. http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/10/production-of-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-and-updated-imacs-reportedly-ramping-up/

Advertisement