Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android and Samba shares

Options
  • 25-09-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

I got this file manager app (Solid Explorer, nice app) connected to my Linux Mint shares so I can copy to and from them but any folder or file I copy into the share from my phone is created with owner: nobody and group: nogroup

I Googled a bit and found this is called root squash? but the solution to fix it (where to put the no_root_squash option) wasn't immediately obvious...

Logging in from the app using Guest account, should I login as my normal account instead maybe?
    Are shares with Guest account bad idea in the first place? They should be ok behind the wifi WPA2 key right?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

no_root_squash is a feature of NFS not Samba

The Guest account is mapped to the nobody user by default, but you can set the user the Guest account can access and use
    guest account = <username>

in your smb.conf

I would suggest that you do use your user account to access your samba shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

timbyr wrote: »
    no_root_squash is a feature of NFS not Samba

The Guest account is mapped to the nobody user by default, but you can set the user the Guest account can access and use
    guest account = <username>

in your smb.conf

I would suggest that you do use your user account to access your samba shares.
    Oh cool, thanks, I did try connecting with my user account but got an error in the Solid Explorer app (I should be able to log in with the same account from the app and while logged in on the PC?), but if the Guest way works it should be fine for just copying MP3s and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Thought I'd bump this instead of creating a new thread.
    I did a fresh install Linux Mint 14 and setup my shares again with Guest and can't access some of them
    http://i.imgur.com/2Szjl.png
    I've shared Downloads in my home folder and that works fine from phone and laptop
    But I setup my Music, Movies and TV with the same access on my other hard drive that was originally Windows drive, but the permissions tab says they are all owned by root instead of me (and trying the chown them to me as root didn't do anything).

The errors I'm getting on my Android through Solid Explorer I'm getting an "Error Access Denied" message
    and from my mams LM13 laptop through the Network I get
    "Unable to mount location
    Failed to mount Windows share"
    Setting the "guest account = root" in /etc/samba/smb.conf didn't help either.

I have also tried editing the /etc/fstab file that mounts the drive:
    From this:
    /dev/sdb5 /media/eoghan/NIBS ntfs,defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    To this:
    /dev/sdb5 /media/eoghan/NIBS ntfs,defaults,umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 1

This has also not made the shares change ownerhsip. :/
    Maybe I should use auto and user instead of defaults the line for this drive?

Advertisement