Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary nursing

Options
  • 25-09-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey i want to go back to College next year september 2013 to do a course in Veterinary Nursing.. I know of all the courses and for me it boils down to Athlone, UCD or Cork.

I want to know if people could give me an insight into the courses and life around the course?
    Difficulty level. expense and all that sort of thing...

I heard that athlone have a good amount of mature students so going by that im sure the first year in most courses would be abit easier than other Colleges?

You get the highest qualification in Ireland in UCD but its 4 years.

and your a registered Nurse after two years in Cork?

So if anyone can give me some advice or personal experience id appreciate it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tazzi

Hi there, im an RVN Ive been full time for the past 10 years or so and a senior nurse in my practice for a while but there is not much work for us anymore my working hours per week have been cut to part time. Im struggling to make ends meet moneywise!
    Im wondering why i didnt spend my years at college doing something else as it isnt a job for life anymore.The college up the road DKIT has 30 students in each year (they come to our practice for mentoring and work experience)but i dunno where theyre gonna get jobs when they graduate:( it would probably be a wasted degree. I think its appalling there are so many colleges to train for this job and also 30 students in each year of study is way too much! you start college with so much enthusiasm and hope but then end up bitter after youve studied ur butt off and cant get a job! My friend, who is a brilliant nurse graduated a year or so ago has only got a part time job in a pet shop, which most ppl without a degree can walk into any day.its a sad situation for all VN's .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EzB

Go to UCD, I'm doing veterinary medicine there and have lots of VN friends the degree is better and the placement is better. Anywhere you can get in and mix with future employers is going to be a bonus plus it's a great learning enviroment where we all regardless whether doing vet medicine/nursing we all help each other out which helps us both.

Advertisement