Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op Placement with ON Semiconductor

Options
  • 25-09-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys,

I had an interview with ON Semiconductor for my end of second year co-op placement last week, and I was lucky enough to be accepted.

Just wondering if anybody has been out on placement there before, and if so, what sort of things did you get up to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

I did my co-op placement with ON Semiconductor two years ago. I then worked here for the summer between third and fourth year, did my FYP here, and am now employed full time here.

The team here is split into 5 different groups:
    Design, Layout, Design Evaluation, Test and Applications.

Design design all the circuitry behind the chips. This involves both Digital and Analog design, and a lot of simulation to make sure that the design is working as intended.

Layout take the design from the designers, and plot it out onto silicon(They play with shapes of poly, metal, etc)

Design Evaluation check the function of the silicon, to make sure that it is functioning correctly. This involves designing both hardware and software systems to automate most of the tests. The software used is LabView.

Test measure currents and voltages on the part. This is all done using a big fancy tester. All the code to make these measurements is written in C, and this program is then used when the part goes into mass production to make sure that all parts produced are within the datasheet specs.

Applications are the interface between the customers and the other engineers. They try out the silicon in setups like the customer might use the part, they create the datasheet, they are involved in resolving any issues the customer might have with the silicon.

Speaking from my own experience, I was assigned to the Design Evaluation group. When I was on co-op I did a lot of software development in LabView. I also did a good bit of Evaluation work on different products when some parts needed an extra pair of hands. Now I do a good bit of hardware design along with the LabView, and of course evaluation work and testing.

The team here are very nice, and everyone is more than willing to help you. It is a great place to learn, and hopefully you will enjoy your time here.

If you have any more questions just fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Flutee

Thanks Robo_Mike, I'm really looking forward to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mcdbd

They looking for Engineers only? What if you have a background in Physics/ Science

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

They have typically only hire engineers on the May-January cycle for co-op, but I know at least one of the fulltime engineers here actually has a physics degree.

Advertisement