Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youngest/Newest GAA Clubs in Ireland

Options
  • 25-09-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I was just wondering would anyone know the names of the newest GAA clubs in Ireland and also the year they were set up?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'm going to say Realt Dearg in Dublin. 2009?
    Mount Talbot handball club in Roscommon. 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Irish speaking club, Na Gaeil Óga in Dublin, set up in 2011.

Adamstown & Tyrrellstown in Dublin are fairly new too.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chubba1984

Realt Dearg set up in 2010 and have had two adult teams last year and this year - not bad going!

Na Gaeil Oga newest club in Dublin as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

East Cavan Gaels Hurling Club,2009, bailieboro, kingscourt, shercock areas of Cavan. Juvenile only so far. Told we cant be a " proper" club until we have an adult side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

breffni666 wrote: »
    East Cavan Gaels Hurling Club,2009, bailieboro, kingscourt, shercock areas of Cavan. Juvenile only so far. Told we cant be a " proper" club until we have an adult side.

Funnily enough we hear the opposite: not a proper club until you have a juvenile section. A proper club is one that the members care about.

We were set up in 2010. Am I right in saying that Adamstown GAA club went under a couple of years ago? I think their pitches in Corkagh Park are vacant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Funnily enough we hear the opposite: not a proper club until you have a juvenile section. A proper club is one that the members care about.

We were set up in 2010. Am I right in saying that Adamstown GAA club went under a couple of years ago? I think their pitches in Corkagh Park are vacant?

If Croke Park recognise a club surely its a proper club??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

68Murph68 wrote: »
    If Croke Park recognise a club surely its a proper club??? :confused:

Of course. But I'll never forget playing in a match in our first year against a very well established club, whose mentors made a point of mispronouncing our club's name, and then, when someone on our team lost their temper with a blatantly biased ref's decision, one of them turned around to our sideline and said: "sure what are ye so worked up about, you aren't a proper club". He was quickly set straight, and apologised (only because he was afraid of the lad who came over to pull him up on it), but it was, and is, an attitude among some people. "A proper club" is a term that would only ever be used by someone who has never had to involve themselves in the running of one. People who have would appreciate what it involves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mattie_J84

Thanks a million folks, that has helped me to get to the bottom of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

There is new clubs being set up all the time. in Dublin with the rising population and rural areas with amalgamations of clubs due to falling populations. My own club a small rural club a decade ago was fielding 2 adult teams and is now joined with 3 other clubs under a new name!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

which actually seems correct

heres a snippet from the official guide
    Affiliation of a New Club
    A Football and/or Hurling Club must have at least
    fifteen playing members before it can be affiliated to the
    Association. Application(s) for affiliation must be made to
    the County Committee. On approval of the application(s)
    those listed and accepted by the County Committee shall
    be members of the new club.

but the following implies that you must be fit to field a team in an adult competition to register as a club
    A Club shall be a Unit eligible to participate in
    a Senior, Intermediate or Junior Championship
    Competition.

anyhow, the rules are all in the gaa official guide here:
    http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/Official_Guide_2012_Part1.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement