Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me or are there ads on here now?

Options
  • 25-09-2012 12:22am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

Probably not the right place for this thread but as I spend most of my "boards" time in here, so what the heck.

I head off for a couple of weeks holidays and I'm not on the forum. I come back and I'm now seeing lots of ads popping up in the middle of the threads. I don't remember them being there before but they are most annoying!

Some have really annoying animated gifs and they seem to pop into the posts at random. Is this new or have they always been there and I just blanked them out?

Mods, if this thread is in the wrong place, feel free to move it......
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Used to be when you browsed anonymously you saw ads. When you created an account the ads disappeared which I'm guessing got boards the initial user base. But like you I've noticed them as being a bit intrusive of late and I don't think they were so before. Love the new theme but the ads are painful to the user experience. Not sure if you see them if you are a subscriber. Presumably you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056759223

Dav
    Boards.ie Community Manager
    bie_star_5.gif

Adverts | Friends
    Admin: Airsoft Retailers, Airsoft Sites, Facilitators, Feed Forward Private, Feed Forward Public, FeedForward, Elections and Referendums, Talk to...

Re-introduction of Banner Ads
    Hello all,

As of tomorrow (20/09), we're going to be enabling 2 more ad slots on our thread view page for logged in members. This is how the page currently works for logged out members with ad slots after posts number 1 and 9 on a thread (and is similar to how touch.boards.ie works).

This is, unfortunately, one of those difficult but "absolutely essential to our business" sorts of decisions we've had to take. Since we replaced the top banner with the Search box on our older skins and carried that forward to the new theme, we have shown 36 million less ads than before which is a huge chunk of revenue we're missing out on.

We're working on huge changes to the site at the moment, starting with the Talk To forums which we hope will be our main source of revenue for the site in the future. After that we'll be rebuilding the site from the ground up, completely severing our ties with VBulletin's software which has simply been too much of a hindrance for us for too long. All these changes cost a lot of money and so we need to re-introduce these banners to help pay for them.

Finally, I would add that if all people are going to do is say "go get Ad-Block and it won't matter" or something similar, I would point out that those ads are quite literally paying the wages of 12 people and that we're not Google with tons of money in the bank smile.png

I would also point out that Subscribers don't see banner ads at all, so if you'd like to support the site and not be bothered by the ads, you can see more information on that at the end of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

I use Add Blocker Plus on firefox. I don't see add's on any website ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I use Add Blocker Plus on firefox. I don't see add's on any website ever.

Thats great for you, but alot of people should choose to view the ads to help support boards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do boards even get stats which would show a lower number of viewed ads as a result of adblock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Thats great for you, but alot of people should choose to view the ads to help support boards
    Rubbish...

Help?
    This is a forum which this particular one would not have became as popular as it is if these crappy ads had have been around at the start.

To me the Internet is DIY, the minute it becomes big business is the time to let go...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Rubbish...

Help?
    This is a forum which this particular one would not have became as popular as it is if these crappy ads had have been around at the start.

To me the Internet is DIY, the minute it becomes big business is the time to let go...
    Bye so
    o/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Bye so
    o/
    I was here b4 u spammertastic, I will decide when I shall depart, I may be hedging my bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I was here b4 u spammertastic, I will decide when I shall depart, I may be hedging my bets.
    And I was here before both of ye. So what?

OP; become a subscriber. Boards.ie has gotten me jobs in the past, have gained friends, and had lots of drunken parties because of it, so I don't mind throwing a few euros towards it to keep it alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmn Dav has said if you subscribe you don't see the adverts. I am a subscriber and I see them........ :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Clicking on the ads is the revenue generator, not viewing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Hmn Dav has said if you subscribe you don't see the adverts. I am a subscriber and I see them........ :confused:

You can turn them off somewhere in your UserCP

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

testicle wrote: »
    Clicking on the ads is the revenue generator, not viewing them.

Depends on the system. Boards uses a pay per view one instead of a pay per click(like Googles)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'll have to look at Ad-Block. I've always had reservations about the idea of for-profit internet forums, it's one thing trying to use ads or other avenues to fund the maintenance costs of a forum, quite another for the ultimate aim of the exercise being to maximise profit and being the source of peoples' daily wages. It just creates far too many conflicts of interest for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Click: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions
    Under "Thread Display Options", you'll see it under "Remove banner adverts?" to "Remove" the ads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is probably better if raised in the Feedback Forum as it's a Site Wide issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement