Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu fails to boot from disc on restart for install

Options
  • 25-09-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having trouble installing my copy of Ubuntu 12.04. It just won't boot when I restart even though I have the CD drive set to allow it to boot and to boot first. I used f12 to select from the boot menu, but to no avail too. I've a copy of Xubuntu 12.04 and I put that in and it booted perfectly. Do you know what I'm doing wrong? I have a Ubuntu compatible external hard drive, a Dell Inspiron Mini 11, and Unbuntu 8.04.

I am correct in assuming I can reformat my hard drive from the disc, too?

VB!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Yes, livecd can be used to format your drive.

Maybe a bad burn? Burn again or verify the CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

I've burnt it twice exactly how the Ubuntu website says to. They're fine I'd think!

ok, can you verify the iso file?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Right,

md5sum gives me the Ubuntuhash:

md5de0ed45fae7beb29aea6bfa0b521be48

and I assume this is what I'm aiming for?

d791352694374f1c478779f7f4447a3f

Download again?

I don't see the hash you generated (de0ed45fae7beb29aea6bfa0b521be48) on the ubuntu hash page, so you have to download the iso & verify again.

P.S. What version do you use? 12.04 or 12.04.1?

Hashes for 12.04.1 : http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/MD5SUMS

• Advertisement

Got it up and running! Cheers for pointing me in the right direction! The new GUI is a beauty!

No prob! :D

Good to know that it worked - I thought that downloading is rather bulletproof, but looks like it not! I might start checking md5 hashes more often....

P.S. It the hard drive of the PC that you used to burn the CD OK? Maybe the drive is broken....

Nothing to indicate there is a problem anyways! I haven't a clue what went wrong.

Advertisement