Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2FM ...P.P.I. Nominations 2012

Options
  • 24-09-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

The P.P.I. awards are barometer for great radio and stations that are doing things to the highest possible standard.

Generally Radio 1 gets the most nominations, Newstalk, FM104, even RedFM in Cork year after year make short lists.

Nationally this year Today FM got 17 Nominations, 2FM got Zero.

This really is a reflection of what comes out of the speakers and is an utter embarrassment to the national broadcaster and it's line up.

To think that small local radio stations with little or no resources and teams of high paid producers are getting more nominations really shows what an operational disaster 2FM is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

LeakyGee wrote: »
    The P.P.I. awards are barometer for great radio and stations that are doing things to the highest possible standard.

Generally Radio 1 gets the most nominations, Newstalk, FM104, even RedFM in Cork year after year make short lists.

This really is a reflection of what comes out of the speakers and is an utter embarrassment to the national broadcaster and it's line up.

To think that small local radio stations with little or no resources and teams of high paid producers are getting more nominations really shows what an operational disaster 2FM is.

Excellent observation, today fm is wiping the floor with 2fm. 2FM should be divested of their public funding and thrown into the commercial market to fight it out with other commercial stations. Its insane that this titantic of a station is burning public money while steadily losing lsteners. They have shifted the deck chairs many times in recent years to no avail, time to cut it loose completely. Ditch the old fogeys and establish an actual identity. If 2FM had actually operated in a real commercial environment without the umbilical chord of public money they would have gone out of business by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Yup things will surely change now. A root and branch overhaul.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The problem with 2FM (something which has been discussed at length numerous times on this forum even in the short time I've been reading it) IMO is that it just doesn't have any personality. Today FM (even if it's not your cup of tea) has more or less a consistent feel to it throughout the day. Dempsey, D'Arcy, Foley, Fenton, Cooper and KC's shows all more or less blend into each other to the oint where it's insanely easy to listen to the station for an entire day if you're working away at something.

2FM doesn't know what it wants to be. Tries to bring in the old biddies with Tubridy, rural people with Hector, middle aged/younger people with Hayes.... no consistent demographic, largely due (IMO) to the fact that it's still under the impression that it needs to provide a service for everyone, instead of focusing on a particular demographic and let the digital stations like 2XM and RTE Xtra, Classic, etc mop up the rest.

Delighted they didn't get any nominations tbh. The only show that's listenable on the station these days is Will Leahy, and that's largely because he just plays a lot of music and doesn't try too hard to be radio personality like so many others on the station (lookin' at you Hayes and Hector!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Tubridy is up for the White Star Line Award, a lifetime achievement award for sinking most shows..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

LeakyGee wrote: »

Guys, I couldn't disagree about 2fm but lets be brutally frank and admit that there are a lot of very poor stations in the Irish market. Can anyone honestly tell me the difference between most of the stations in Dublin ? They're all heavy rotation stations with very little identity and I include the newer entrants as well

Being blunt about the awards, the question which should be asked is, did 2fm enter them? Generally these awards open, and station choose or not to enter. The paperwork is generally laborious and after that its a piss up or something similar in Lyrath. Generally more nominations equals more applications in various categories. And seriously Des Bishop FM, sorry Today FM that good ??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    2FM doesn't know what it wants to be. Tries to bring in the old biddies with Tubridy, rural people with Hector, middle aged/younger people with Hayes.... no consistent demographic, largely due (IMO) to the fact that it's still under the impression that it needs to provide a service for everyone, instead of focusing on a particular demographic and let the digital stations like 2XM and RTE Xtra, Classic, etc mop up the rest.

Absolutely agree with this.I always thought 2FM was supposed to be aimed at young people, 15-34 year old's. We need to take it back!

They are trying to be everything to everyone and it just doens't work. I listen to BBC Radio 1 a lot and this is a station that I always imagined 2FM should have modeled itself on, aimed at young people and all about music. I wonder if they could have have done some sort of deal with the BBC to network some of BBC Radio 1's night time output (Daniel P Carter, Benji B etc.) The music shows on BBC Radio 1 between 12am and 4 am are QUALITY and all about music so it would not be overly apparent that they are aimed at a British audience. (Better than listening to repeats of the Colm Hayes show!) This and moving some of their better DJ's (Jenny Greene, Cormac Battle etc.) to regular weekday would make a great change to this station.

Advertisement