Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

washing Machine not spinning

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Any help here please,
    Have a hotpoint hvl 411(think) 1400 spin, not yet 5 years old

Last week wouldn't spin on a full load but would spin if i take out half
    now it won't even do that.

I tried unscrewing the duct at the bottom front and removed a couple of coins but still not working
    Anything else I could try, have car trouble already that i can't afford ;-(

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

robin3 wrote: »
    Any help here please,
    Have a hotpoint hvl 411(think) 1400 spin, not yet 5 years old

Last week wouldn't spin on a full load but would spin if i take out half
    now it won't even do that.

I tried unscrewing the duct at the bottom front and removed a couple of coins but still not working
    Anything else I could try, have car trouble already that i can't afford ;-(

Have you had a good look in the duct for any blockages?

You could try running it through a whites wash with just washing soda crystals in it to see if that clears any blockages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Don't know the model you posted but it sounds like the brushes in the motor have gone, simple enough job if you get the brushes, brushes cost around 20 euro.

Not your model but will give you an idea....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw9o_bjy9ws

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭robin3

think duct is clear was sure it would work, will try the soda crystals

I'll check model number in the morn
    Thanks
    how would i be sure of it being brushes?
    would i be able to do replace?

thanks will check it out will be fantastic if i can do it!

If the pump has emptied the water but it doesnt spin then the most likely suspect is the brushes, their life is around 5/6 years, without removing the old ones you cannot be 100%, it could be speed control module but very unlikely, your discription is that of failed brushes.
    Look at the link and you'll have an idea if your capable of the job, with Boards help.

• Advertisement

hi, have taken out brushes and approx 1 inch of carbon remaining, would you say this is the problem?
    If so where can i order new parts pretty reasonable,
    found it easy enough to get them out, although the motor was at the bottom of the machine, had to put it lying on its front and access it through the bottom hope this won't do it any harm.
    Thanks

One inch, sounds like they're good brushes.

ok just measured them they are 2cm so just under 1 inch.

how would i check if the pump has emptied?

Agree with the last man, 2cm would be good brushes so your now looking at something more serious that isnt for the novice, sorry but its an engineer time.

fair enough so, thanks for all you advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

If the pump is draining a full drum in less than 2 mins its ok. You hear a chugga chugga when its empty. It sounds like the power module could be on the blink. I presume you checked the drive belt and rear pulley wheel are not loose. If the carbons are at fault or the commutater ring they run on is faulty you get a blue flame when motor is running but you would hear the whine of this turning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Have you tried spinning drum by hand and if so is there a slight resistance or will it freely turn very easily?

hi, can't check the drum at the mo, but hadn't noticed it being any different.

it will do grand with a very small load, based on the advice above i put it through a hot white wash with some soda crystals and had just 1 shirt in and it worked perfectly. After that tried a regular 40 wash with couple pairs jeans and few tops and machine kept running and didn't progress to spin. I eventually opened it and took out half and it spun grand. Then i put in the rest on a fast spin cycle and did it ok too. haven't used it since as don't want to damage anything too much

I think pump has emptied, based on above and when moving it very little water came out of the drain pipe.

robin3 wrote: »
    I think pump has emptied, based on above and when moving it very little water came out of the drain pipe.

Its very important that you know the pump has emptied the machine, the more of a wash in the machine the more water the machine will fill with, IF you have a partial blockage and the machine doesnt empy in time then fast spin will not kick in, you could have crap in the tub/pump hose, stain catches and the like love to get caught here, there is a small ball shaped float in there that will catch crap and restrict flow through the pump.

Advertisement