Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just found out I'm pregnant!!!!!!

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

As the title says I'm pregnant!
    I'll be goIng to the doctor tomorrow afternoon but was just wondering about a few things.
    1) my last period was on the 24 th of August so how many weeks does that make me? I know it's probably a silly question but I can't think straight!
    2) I seem to be peeing more than usual, this isn't me reading into it & developing symptoms that are not there, I'm going way more than usual. Is this normal this early?
    3) what should I expect tomorrow? Tummy examination? Blood tests etc?
    4) is there anything I should be asking the doctor?

I'm really sorry but when I say my head is a mess I mean I can't think straight. I should know these answers but I'm drawing a complete blank & just grinning like a loon :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ahh congrats :D:D

Doc may do blood test to confirm, take a urine sample with you as s/he may do a preg test too.

Tell you to take folic acid, ask you if you want to go public or private, some docs book you into hospital them selves via letter, others give you a list and tell you to ring yourself.

Doc may get you to sign a form about combined care (Basically just ensuriing that they will get paid for your 6 free gp visits)

I think you 4wks preg but I could be wrong, and and the peeing is normal, my incredibly sore boobs used to be my first sign, comgrats again

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Lisha wrote: »

Doc may do blood test to confirm, take a urine sample with you as s/he may do a preg test too.

Tell you to take folic acid, ask you if you want to go public or private, some docs book you into hospital them selves via letter, others give you a list and tell you to ring yourself.

Doc may get you to sign a form about combined care (Basically just ensuriing that they will get paid for your 6 free gp visits)

I think you 4wks preg but I could be wrong, and and the peeing is normal, my incredibly sore boobs used to be my first sign, comgrats again
    Will he be able to confirm straight away from blood/ urine?
    Yeah it's the sore boobs that got me thinking. I did a test on Friday & it turned out negative but I literally woke up today & just felt weird all day. Kinda like I'm dizzy but I'm not, it doesn't even make sense!
    I'm still in shock it happened so fast for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Lisha wrote: »

Yeah it's the sore boobs that got me thinking. I did a test on Friday & it turned out negative but I literally woke up today & just felt weird all day. Kinda like I'm dizzy but I'm not, it doesn't even make sense!
    So your test was negative? Did you get a positive one?
    The doctor did not do a test on me as the one's you buy for home use are actually a lot more sensitive then their ones for early tests. Are you sick or anything?
    The sore boob's was a tell tale sign for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Congrats :)
    That makes you 4 weeks and 3 days!

Just a word of warning....dont worry too much if the doctors test comes out negative, you're still quite early and a lot of doctors tests aren't as sensitive as the dearer ones you get in the chemist. Happened me on my first-almost ran to the doctors and then was so disheartened when his test was negative. Had to go back the following week and all was grand.

Once you've Had a positive test yourself then you're definitely pregnant!

Doc prob won't do much tomorrow apart from paperwork and prob a few basics like blood pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

I would guess your only around 3 weeks...very early...which is why the first test may have been negative...rest of your symptoms are a pretty sure sign....congrats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

bloods take a few days, urine straight away but as other have said your test is prob accurate. a pregnancy is dated for first day of last period which makes you 4wks 3days preg. But conception prob occured 2wks after period so you are only 2wks 3days in actuality. But docs etc will always date preg from first day of last period.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

If the 24th was the first day of your last period then by way it's calculated you are about 4 weeks and 3 days gone and due the 31st of May. http://www.pregnology.com/due-date.php
    Did you get a positive test yet?
    The clear blue test will tell you if you are x weeks pregnant, once I had a positive one of those to show my dr, he said that was better then any he would do, he did one though, but it took ages to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm far from an expert, but surely all we know is that she got pregnant any time since her last period? It could have been very soon after her last period or just very recently?

Yeah I got two positives this evening!
    Got the first one which showed positive before the three minutes were up.
    So I drank a load of water & the second one came back positive too in record time!

How soon can I get scanned?
    The reason I ask is that I had a miscarriage two years ago. I know once the initial excitement wears off this will play on my mind. I suppose I'm looking for reassurance.

And there I was thinking Im prepared for this. I'm walking around like a headless chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm far from an expert, but surely all we know is that she got pregnant any time since her last period? It could have been very soon after her last period or just very recently?

She could have gotten pregnant anytime after the first day of her last period, but for calculation dates its always done from the first day of the last period. So for instance I'm 28 weeks and 3 days but in reality the baby is more likely 26 weeks old. That's why due dates are so flexible! All the dating stuff can get very confusing! I did lots of reading up before I figured it out.

Also congrats striped socks!! That's so exciting :) your doctor might not do a test since the at home ones are much more sensitive. My doctor just said ok that's grand, weighed me, took my blood pressure and filled out my form for public care. I was shocked I thought there would be something....more!
    Best of luck with everything!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Rachineire wrote: »
    She could have gotten pregnant anytime after the first day of her last period, but for calculation dates its always done from the first day of the last period. So for instance I'm 28 weeks and 3 days but in reality the baby is more likely 26 weeks old. That's why due dates are so flexible! All the dating stuff can get very confusing! I did lots of reading up before I figured it out.

Don't you get a much more accurate due date once the foetus is developed enough for the technician to estimate by size?

Congrats socks :)

congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Zillah wrote: »
    Rachineire wrote: »

Don't you get a much more accurate due date once the foetus is developed enough for the technician to estimate by size?

Congrats socks :)

Yes they can narrow it down but maybe by a couple of days. For instance mine went from Dec. 11th to Dec. 15th, so calculating from the last menstrual cycle is still the best bet, especially if the woman is regular :)

Most of the time the hospital won't change your estimated due date unless there is a discrepancy of 5 or more days. If the first scan is detailed enough it might show a difference in dates, but the bigger the baby gets the less accurate the measurements and estimates can be. Different parts of the babys body can show different growth rates, I know I was due the 25th of the month and at 25 weeks some measurements were showing the baby due on the 20th and others showed him being due on the 30th and they never changed my dates from the date my last period gave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

This isn't completely relevant but when I had a scan at 37 weeks with last baby they said she was already 8lbs and would be 9 by the time I had the section at 39 weeks. She was born 6lbs 5oz.... They get it wrong!!!!
    So menstrual date can be more accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

So I drank a load of water & the second one came back positive too in record time!

The reason I ask is that I had a miscarriage two years ago. I know once the initial excitement wears off this will play on my mind. I suppose I'm looking for reassurance.

And there I was thinking Im prepared for this. I'm walking around like a headless chicken!

Congratulations first of all! Your doctor will probably book you in for your first scan anytime between 12 and 20 weeks, if they are unaware of your history. Even if they are aware of your history they might try to leave it that late.

Make a point of requesting an early scan if you want one, I managed to get mine at just after 6 weeks to rule out an ectopic, another at 8 to confirm the heartbeat.

In the case of previous miscarriages I would be more concerned about having regular scans than having a very early scan, maybe you can discuss how regularly they can scan you until the risk has decreased. Good luck and all the best for your pregnancy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

sorry too hear that say it too your doctor id say youd get one earlier then 20 weeks as usual they will just monitor you bcause of the past miscarraige, good luck with your pregnancy im sure youll have a beautiful healty baby at the end xx congrats xx

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Decide which hospital you are going to
    Decide if you are going public or private or semi private
    Get your gp to confirm pregnancy and give you the combined care forms
    Book hospital.

Depending on the hospital you will get called around 10-14 weeks for bloods and initial appointment and they might give you a dating scan too.

Congrats and sorry to hear about your previous miscarriage.

Good Luck

xiwang wrote: »

Congratulations first of all! Your doctor will probably book you in for your first scan anytime between 12 and 20 weeks, if they are unaware of your history. Even if they are aware of your history they might try to leave it that late.

Make a point of requesting an early scan if you want one, I managed to get mine at just after 6 weeks to rule out an ectopic, another at 8 to confirm the heartbeat.

In the case of previous miscarriages I would be more concerned about having regular scans than having a very early scan, maybe you can discuss how regularly they can scan you until the risk has decreased. Good luck and all the best for your pregnancy!
    Yeah doctor is aware of my history. There was no explanation for the miscarriage, just one of those things I suppose.
    I'd like to get one at 8 weeks if possible but I'll see what the hospital says. I assume I'll be hearing from them in the next few days?
    Once I receive a letter from the hospital I'll get the ball rolling on requesting an early scan. If they won't provide it I'll get it done privately just for my own peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nicky30

Hi girl in the striped socks,

If your last period was 24th of August, your due date is june 1st 2013 :)

If you're going public they should send you an appointment for a scan at 12 weeks. Then maybe 20 weeks depending on your family history.

I got a scan at 12 weeks and won't get another scan until 31 weeks :eek:

So i went for a private scan at 21 weeks to make sure things are going ok ;)

• Advertisement

Nicky30 wrote: »
    Hi girl in the striped socks,

If your last period was 24th of August, your due date is june 1st 2013 :)

If you're going public they should send you an appointment for a scan at 12 weeks. Then maybe 20 weeks depending on your family history.

I got a scan at 12 weeks and won't get another scan until 31 weeks :eek:

So i went for a private scan at 21 weeks to make sure things are going ok ;)
    When I go into due date calculators on different sites it tells me 31st of may????
    I suppose the scan will give a proper indication of dates.
    I really hope I do get one at 12 weeks, I'd say I'll be doing well to last eight weeks without looking for one :)

what hospital are you planning on attending, I know the Rotunda do a 12 and 20 week can if you're public.

Ginny wrote: »
    what hospital are you planning on attending, I know the Rotunda do a 12 and 20 week can if you're public.
    It's a toss between portlaoise & Kilkenny.
    I'd nearly want to make my mind up!
    The rotunda is going to be too much of a drag tbh.
    Even if I didn't have a m/c I'd still like an early scan. It makes it all more exciting & real :)

We had an early scan at 9 weeks in Babyscan, they'll do them from 8 weeks. AFAIK most places won't do them too early just in case there isn't a heartbeat yet, it might not show up till 8 or so weeks so any earlier might cause a bit of undue worry, but any place will advise you how early they can do it.

Advertisement