Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promised Land (Gus Van Sant/Matt Damon/John Krasinski)

Options
  • 24-09-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

WARNING: Have your vomit bag at the ready

And I was really looking forward to Matt Damon's return to writing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Swap Jim from The Office for Ben Affleck and I'd be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I'm just impressed that Hal Holbrook is still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

It looks like a Cameron Crowe version of There Will Be Blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WatchWolf wrote: »
    It looks like a Cameron Crowe version of There Will Be Blood.

Plus meets Erin Brockovich :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bumping the thread as it opened here & I saw it last night; enjoyable enough, but it was in spite of the moralising, not because of it.

To be honest, I know little about the whole fracking controversy so am in no position to make a considered judgement, but it was obvious the film was leaning towards an anti-corporation agenda, whilst ennobling the farmers and small-town America. That said, the strongest beats in the film were the vignettes featuring the locals: they drifted in & out of the story, but still felt fleshed out & convincing, giving us some interesting perspectives within an obviously moribund community.

Performances were very strong; Damon impressed, as did Frances McDormand, the weak link was possibly Krasinski:
    although his contrived joviality & friendliness did subsequently make sense against the revelation he was actually an company stooge, manipulating the townspeople

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watched this last night on RTE, thought it was decent enough, nice plot twist.

The financing of it makes another twist...
    The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, reported that Promised Land was financed in part by Image Nation Abu Dhabi, a subsidiary of Abu Dhabi Media, which is wholly owned by the United Arab Emirates. The foundation said that the UAE, as a member of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), has "a direct financial interest... in slowing the development of America's natural gas industry" and suggested that its financing of the film "may have an impact on the public's view of the [fracking] practice". Image Nation said it provided financing to the film as part of an ongoing partnership with Participant Media, "regardless of genre or subject matter".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promised_Land_(2012_film)#Financing

Advertisement