Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuarial Science Hdip Masters

Options
  • 24-09-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Question, if I do an arts degree in UCD with maths and statistics, followed by a Hdip in actuarial studies, can I do these steps including the masters in actuarial science in UCD? or do I need the masters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

I don't think there is masters in actuarial science at UCD. If you do get a lot of exemptions in hdip, then you can start working as a trainee actuary and do the rest of the exams while you work. Will that be an option for you?

Do you have an option to do BAFS degree? You can get 9 exemption from it straight away and then won't need to do hdip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

There is a Masters, but its the same as the HDip except you cover the course content of CA1 - but you do not get the exemption.

I would also recommend the BAFS degree if possible, if not then the HDip.

I do know of someone who did Maths/Stats through Arts but I'm not 100% sure how it works in terms of exemptions, the BAFS degree is fully accredited so its automatic for us.

If you can, try to speak to the course director to find out what the story would be, then you'd only have to take the subjects in the HDip not covered by your undergrad course.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

There is an MSc in Actuarial Science now on offer in UCC:

http://www.ucc.ie/en/ckr46/

Fees a lot more reasonable than UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

If you're thinking of an actuarial career, the BAFS course in UCD is the most direct route. The course is 4 years, including work placement in 3rd year, and you have the opportunity to gain 9 exemptions including CA1. Check out the website and you'll see a variety of disciplines are covered, from finance and maths to accounting and economics.

Alternatively if you're more interested in pure maths, then a maths science course is best considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sean_ros

Hi, i am considering applying for a masters/h dip in actuarial science. Just completed a 4 yr degree in financial maths. I have no relevant work experience but if i did the masters/h dip in actuarial science, should i have any trouble in securing a trainee position after the course?? Its just that the fees are very expensive so i want to make sure it will be money well spent.

• Advertisement

misslt wrote: »
    There is a Masters, but its the same as the HDip except you cover the course content of CA1 - but you do not get the exemption.

I would also recommend the BAFS degree if possible, if not then the HDip.

I do know of someone who did Maths/Stats through Arts but I'm not 100% sure how it works in terms of exemptions, the BAFS degree is fully accredited so its automatic for us.

If you can, try to speak to the course director to find out what the story would be, then you'd only have to take the subjects in the HDip not covered by your undergrad course.

Hi, hopefully you might be able to offer some advice. I just completed a 4 yr degree in financial maths. I have no relevant work experience but if i did the masters/h dip in actuarial science, should i have any trouble in securing a trainee position after the course?? Its just that the fees are very expensive so i want to make sure it will be money well spent. Which would be best - the grad dip or MSc?

Sean_ros wrote: »
    Hi, hopefully you might be able to offer some advice. I just completed a 4 yr degree in financial maths. I have no relevant work experience but if i did the masters/h dip in actuarial science, should i have any trouble in securing a trainee position after the course?? Its just that the fees are very expensive so i want to make sure it will be money well spent. Which would be best - the grad dip or MSc?

I believe the masters now offers a short work placement to offer the opportunity to get the exemption from CA1.

Re securing positions, I've just finished this year and I believe around 15-20 of my class have jobs already out of the ~40 of us. I think last year everyone that wanted to get a job got one, so I think the job market for trainee actuaries is pretty decent.

I would probably recommend the masters for the extra potential exemption and the work experience all other things (like fees) being equal.

I believe the masters now offers a short work placement to offer the opportunity to get the exemption from CA1.

Re securing positions, I've just finished this year and I believe around 15-20 of my class have jobs already out of the ~40 of us. I think last year everyone that wanted to get a job got one, so I think the job market for trainee actuaries is pretty decent.

I would probably recommend the masters for the extra potential exemption and the work experience all other things (like fees) being equal.

Thanks for replying. Do you know what time of the year employers start advertising actuarial positions? And what they really look for in a person?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Thanks for replying. Do you know what time of the year employers start advertising actuarial positions? And what they really look for in a person?

I am an actuary who is almost qualified. We would look for people with:
    • good excel skills, hopefully some SAS and VBA too or the eagerness and skill to get good quickly
    • good communication - particularly re technical information
    • some idea of what the role entails, what kind of models we might use or how we actually do the job
    • an understanding of the commitment re exams
    • good grades
    • enthusiastic
    • work experience would help a lot too

As someone without a degree in Actuarial Science and also no Masters/HDip etc, (I did Econ and Finance UCD), I would not necessarily encourage doing one of these courses. I have managed to get to having only 2 written exams left after 5 sittings (I had two exemptions starting out). I have amassed no debt in doing it, I am paid to study and all my study materials, fees, etc are paid for too. Of course I have to work and study but it's ok.

I would strongly consider trying to find a job first, a HDip won't give you as much advantage as you think.

Personally, all the other things on the list would count more to me than a few exemptions if I was hiring. Just my opinion...

Pythia wrote: »
    I am an actuary who is almost qualified. We would look for people with:
    • good excel skills, hopefully some SAS and VBA too or the eagerness and skill to get good quickly
    • good communication - particularly re technical information
    • some idea of what the role entails, what kind of models we might use or how we actually do the job
    • an understanding of the commitment re exams
    • good grades
    • enthusiastic
    • work experience would help a lot too

As someone without a degree in Actuarial Science and also no Masters/HDip etc, (I did Econ and Finance UCD), I would not necessarily encourage doing one of these courses. I have managed to get to having only 2 written exams left after 5 sittings (I had two exemptions starting out). I have amassed no debt in doing it, I am paid to study and all my study materials, fees, etc are paid for too. Of course I have to work and study but it's ok.

I would strongly consider trying to find a job first, a HDip won't give you as much advantage as you think.

Personally, all the other things on the list would count more to me than a few exemptions if I was hiring. Just my opinion...

Thanks, I understand all that you've said. I couldn't be any worse off anyways by doing a postgrad in actuarial science - it will at least shorten the amount of time I'll spend studying when working.

The thing is the reason why I want to do a postgrad is because I wasn't able to get an actuarial job. Apparently since last year the MSc Actuarial Science gave the opportunity for people to do a work placement in semester 3 (only 3 got to do this). I find this very appealing given the uncertainty I have in getting an actuarial job.

Does every actuarial employer pay for your study leave, exams etc?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I understand all that you've said. I couldn't be any worse off anyways by doing a postgrad in actuarial science - it will at least shorten the amount of time I'll spend studying when working.

The thing is the reason why I want to do a postgrad is because I wasn't able to get an actuarial job. Apparently since last year the MSc Actuarial Science gave the opportunity for people to do a work placement in semester 3 (only 3 got to do this). I find this very appealing given the uncertainty I have in getting an actuarial job.

Does every actuarial employer pay for your study leave, exams etc?

most do, if you have a permanent contract they most likely will. if you have a one year contract or similar then chances are you won't.

I'll echo Pythia and say the exemptions aren't the be all and end all, a friend of mine has all 9 that UCD offer and hasn't got a job yet, I have 4 and have had my job since April. if you have say all the CT exemptions, employers have to pay you a certain salary but you won't have the experience to justify that salary. I'd say 3-5 CT exemptions would probably be more beneficial!

just my 2c!

most do, if you have a permanent contract they most likely will. if you have a one year contract or similar then chances are you won't.

I'll echo Pythia and say the exemptions aren't the be all and end all, a friend of mine has all 9 that UCD offer and hasn't got a job yet, I have 4 and have had my job since April. if you have say all the CT exemptions, employers have to pay you a certain salary but you won't have the experience to justify that salary. I'd say 3-5 CT exemptions would probably be more beneficial!

just my 2c!

Hmmm its hard to know! I have 2 exemptions at the moment, yet to hear from UCD aswell.:rolleyes:

Advertisement