Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP NEEDED WITH INTERNET EXPLORER 9

Options
  • 24-09-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

I'm connecting to the web using Google chrome/babylon because my ie9 is refusing to connect.
    My system is Vista 32 bit. Problem has suddenly occurred in the last week or so.
    I've been using ie9 more or less since it came out with no problems but now it appears to start up but cannot connect to any web page. Obviously no connections trouble as I'm on here now.

I tried to remove ie 9 from my comp but get the message that I need permission to do so. This is despite the fact that I am the only a/c holder on here and am listed as administrator!.

I have tried to download ie 9 again hoping that it would over-write existing files but I get the message unable to do so as a more recent version exists. This I don't understand. How can I have a more recent version than is on Microsoft web ste to download?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

First thing to try is running IE9 in Safe Mode. This will run it without any third party add ons. The next thing to check is the IE9 proxy server /ip settings are set to auto see here.
    If issues still happen what kind of broadband do you use? Mobile ()i.e: "dongle" based or fixed line/wireless. Btw go into Control Panel>Programs & Features and remobe Babylon. It isn't something you want or need/it's a browser hijacker

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Hi yoyo,

Thanks for this reply.
    Only just got in so haven't tried all you suggest but have tried in Safe Mode. No difference.
    Will try the other ways tomorrow.
    With regard to Babylon, I can't find it on my comp at all!. I have a desktop icon for Google Chrome and it's only when I use that icon, like now, that it comes up with a Babylon search bar. No idea where this comes from but without this I would not be able to connect at all, so for the moment I will have to leave it as is, Yes?.

As I said, many thanks and I'll be in touch tomorrow.

Forgot to add that I use fixed line broadband.

Hi yoyo,

Thanks for this reply.
    Only just got in so haven't tried all you suggest but have tried in Safe Mode. No difference.
    Will try the other ways tomorrow.
    With regard to Babylon, I can't find it on my comp at all!. I have a desktop icon for Google Chrome and it's only when I use that icon, like now, that it comes up with a Babylon search bar. No idea where this comes from but without this I would not be able to connect at all, so for the moment I will have to leave it as is, Yes?.

As I said, many thanks and I'll be in touch tomorrow.

Forgot to add that I use fixed line broadband.

Yeah sounds like me like your network settings need to be "auto" in IE9 as above. Especially if Safe Mode didn't fix it that rules out extensions. Regarding babylon go to your internet options and make your homepage http://www.google.ie/ instead. Babylon is a spyware search engine (I suppose same argument could be used for Google...), and probably no way as good

Nick

HI Nick,

I couldn't get anywhere with your suggestions, nothing changed.
    So I've restored my comp. to a day last week when everything was fine and explorer is now back to normal.
    Still can't find anyway to delete babylon from the google chrome shortcut which is very odd.

The one thing I forgot to tell you was that this problem happened once before, about 3 weeks ago but sorted itself out somehow and I'm not sure if it was something that I did or it just took pity on me:D.

Now I'll wait to see if it happens again.:(

Thanks for the tips, I'll be back in touch if it goes wrong again.

Watch this space:confused:.

Dave

Hi Dave,

For Babylon removal see here. Covers all the browsers :) . Glad you got the IE sorted

Nick

• Advertisement

Hi Nick, Thanks but the fix might be just short term. Will have to wait and see.

With regard to removing babylon by completely removing the google shortcut that I have on my desktop, if I do have probs with iE again I'll have no way to get on to web sites!!!.
    I think I will leave it there for now but I won't be using it of course.
    I'm quite happy with the google task bar that comes up on iE, it's only the google chrome that insists on babylon being brought up on the search bar straight away, but if I then click the home page item it brings up ask as the search engine:confused::mad:.

I will keep you informed of progress, thanks again.

Dave

Hi Nick, Thanks but the fix might be just short term. Will have to wait and see.

With regard to removing babylon by completely removing the google shortcut that I have on my desktop, if I do have probs with iE again I'll have no way to get on to web sites!!!.
    I think I will leave it there for now but I won't be using it of course.
    I'm quite happy with the google task bar that comes up on iE, it's only the google chrome that insists on babylon being brought up on the search bar straight away, but if I then click the home page item it brings up ask as the search engine:confused::mad:.

I will keep you informed of progress, thanks again.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

You could try AdwCleaner. It may sort the Ask issue out. Just make your homepage in Chrome www.google.ie then :)

Nick

Get rid of any extra toolbars that you might have accumulated.

Hi Nick,
    Thanks, I think this used to be called Adaware? If so I had it on my previous comp. but lost it when I changed.
    I've downloaded it and this now makes 3 cleaners I've got as well as AVG!.
    It always surprises me how each one can find different and extra items that the others miss, including after I've run AVG! It makes me wonder if they invent them?.

Thanks DrDonkey, Yes I've done that.

At the moment all going well, fingers crossed.

Dave

Forgot to say that I've managed to get rid of Babylon from the google shortcut on my desktop.
    I don't use the shortcut, but it's there for emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I'm connecting to the web using Google chrome/babylon because my ie9 is refusing to connect.
    My system is Vista 32 bit. Problem has suddenly occurred in the last week or so.
    I've been using ie9 more or less since it came out with no problems but now it appears to start up but cannot connect to any web page. Obviously no connections trouble as I'm on here now.

I tried to remove ie 9 from my comp but get the message that I need permission to do so. This is despite the fact that I am the only a/c holder on here and am listed as administrator!.

I have tried to download ie 9 again hoping that it would over-write existing files but I get the message unable to do so as a more recent version exists. This I don't understand. How can I have a more recent version than is on Microsoft web ste to download?

Any help will be much appreciated.
    Get Mozilla Firefox it's the best browser out there.

• Advertisement

200motels wrote: »

In what way is it better?.

IE9 does everything that every other browser does, as far as I can see, and I'm used to it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Please read the charter about advocacy

Yes Firefox has some nice features, but it's also a memory hog and times out for bleedin ages on gmail scripts. It's also vulnerable to cross site scripting since it uses the same memory space for all windows. And the sharing also means you can't just kill the stalled tab. :mad:

Anyway back on topic

Check out the malware forum on how to give the system a good once over.
    not sure if anyone has mentioned clearing out the cache, oddly enough it sorts out more than a few IE quibbles.

Yes Firefox has some nice features, but it's also a memory hog and times out for bleedin ages on gmail scripts. It's also vulnerable to cross site scripting since it uses the same memory space for all windows. And the sharing also means you can't just kill the stalled tab. :mad:

Anyway back on topic

not sure if anyone has mentioned clearing out the cache, oddly enough it sorts out more than a few IE quibbles.

Hi, when you say check out the malware forum, can you give me a hint or a link to the particular piece you're referring to please.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Thought it probably was.

I've got Microsoft security essentials, AVG pctuneup which includes virus checker and AVG 2013 malware/virus checker all loaded and up to date and I use them very regularly so I'm pretty certain that it's not an infection problem.
    I thought perhaps you were pointing me to a particular thread.

Thanks anyway.

Thought it probably was.

I've got Microsoft security essentials, AVG pctuneup which includes virus checker and AVG 2013 malware/virus checker all loaded and up to date and I use them very regularly so I'm pretty certain that it's not an infection problem.
    I thought perhaps you were pointing me to a particular thread.

Thanks anyway.
    You shouldn't be running all of those together as you'll have conflicts.

Anyway back on topic

Well I beg to differ, it's in a different league to IE9 but hey that's only an opinion. I wasn't advocating or whatever you call it I was just giving an opinion in this supposedly free country of ours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well I beg to differ, it's in a different league to IE9 but hey that's only an opinion. I wasn't advocating or whatever you call it I was just giving an opinion in this supposedly free country of ours.
    From the Charter https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47980
    No Off-Topic Advocacy: When someone asks a question in relation to their current OS/browser/mailer/etc, either answer the question or don't post. If they want an alternative, they'll ask for it. Off-topic advocacy will be sent to the Recycle Bin and repeat offenders may be banned.

You shouldn't be running all of those together as you'll have conflicts.

Can you be a little more helpful please.
    I've run at least 2 for a number of years now without, knowingly, having any problems.

Just saying I'll have conflicts is like the people who always say " (sharp intake of breath) I wouldn't do it like that if it was me".

In regards to 200motels post on not running two anti-virus programs, it can cause a lot of different problems due to the program's drivers causing conflicts. I've seen issues like massive PC slow down, BSOD's, and crashes happen often. You may not notice any issues, but I'd say your PC would speed up quite a bit if you only used one.

It's the same for running two firewalls, or real-time protection programs.

• Advertisement

ASJ112 wrote: »
    In regards to 200motels post on not running two anti-virus programs, it can cause a lot of different problems due to the program's drivers causing conflicts. I've seen issues like massive PC slow down, BSOD's, and crashes happen often. You may not notice any issues, but I'd say your PC would speed up quite a bit if you only used one.

It's the same for running two firewalls, or real-time protection programs.
    That's what I was about to post, you beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Download Malwarebytes and Spybot search and Destroy, update then scan PC regularly and you should have no issues with Malware

21/25

Thanks but I don't have any malware or virus problems.
    I have one virus/spyware/malware checker that runs automatically and other that I run from the shortcut from time to time as a back to the first one. Belt and braces so to speak. I also have two registry cleaners,one that runs automatically weekly and one that I run from the shortcut.
    I never use two of anything at the same time so I can't see that there should be any driver conflicts.

I started this thread because I had what has turned out to be some sort of glitch in IE9. Since restoring to a point a day or two before the prob started everything is now fine.

Thanks everyone for your help. If it happens again, as someone once said

"I'll be back".

I also have two registry cleaners,one that runs automatically weekly and one that I run from the shortcut.

Is this necessary? My understanding always was "mess with the registry at your peril"

Its not, and that's a good motto to follow concerning the registry.

Is this necessary? My understanding always was "mess with the registry at your peril"

I was advised years ago to download a registry cleaner. It gets rid of bits of files that have been left over for some reason or other. Someone with more technical knowledge will be able to explain it properly.

I use AVG PC Tuneup as the automatic, once a week cleaner.
    Not a free download but worth the money.

I certainly wouldn't try cleaning it manually. I did take a look at the registry back in the early days and can understand what you understood. The idea is that by getting rid of bits and pieces that are no longer needed this runs things faster and smoother.

There are plenty of registry cleaners both freeware and paid for on the web.

Advertisement