Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give Blood?

Options
  • 24-09-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭

It's the off-season and you're still as fit as a fiddle and have spare capacity blood now that your legs don't need it anymore and the poor liddle sick kiddies do.

Maybe consider giving blood.

It takes a month to fully recover the levels of the good stuff but only a day to refill the volume.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you can, give platelets.
    Doesn't (afaik) cause your iron levels to drop, you just need a day or two to recover blood volume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good call, this sort of piqued my interest, so I went to www.giveblood.ie and looked at their become a donor checklist. What a boring life I've led; never had a piercing, or had sex with anyone for money or drugs, or injected myself with steroids, or even had an exotic South American mother.

Seriously though, (I've a race at the weekend); would giving blood today or tomorrow affect performance? Is it better to wait until after a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Seriously though, (I've a race at the weekend); would giving blood today or tomorrow affect performance? Is it better to wait until after a race?

Yes and yes.
    I'm always low for a couple of days after giving blood (platelets). Nothing major, but I feel it when training. Apparently it takes up to six weeks for iron levels to fully recover from a regular donation.

Marathon talk interview on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Yes, dat's why it's for off-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

RayCun wrote: »
    Apparently it takes up to six weeks for iron levels to fully recover from a regular donation.

Some Irish males have naturally high iron levels and an occasional blood letting is good for them, admittedly not too many....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Platelets are a funny one, I ran the k-club 10k the day after giving platelets and I had a terrible race but I've often gone for a run after giving platelets in the morning and felt great.
    On my last visit the nurse asked me if I was doing the marathon, she said that you're asked not to donate for 2 weeks before or after the marathon.

Haven't given blood in years but I've heard 4-6 weeks to get back to 100% after giving glood, platelets are a day or two

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Yep, give if you can. I'm an ex blood and plasma donor and now platelet donor. Painless process and doesn't really take anything out of you. When I started donating the application form used to be a hell of a lot simpler .. was pretty much sign here and go.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

id like to try it................but only if i can have it back in time for the des hanlon;):D

Advertisement