Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost the audio on my PC

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I bought some new speakers for my pc ( running windows 7) but although they were on (USB powered) I couldn't get sound - there doesn't seem to be the correct socket for the jack plug. I disconnected them but now the audio is switched off. The monitor is all connected so I should have the sound from that back but after rebooting the symbol is still switched off. Can anyone help please?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

which model speakers - if they do not have a headphone jack

also some pc's/laptops have a physical volume control

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Try disabling/re-enabling the device in Device Manager. Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Sound, Video and Game controllers. Right click on your device and then choose Disable. (Warning will pop up, click Yes) Right click on the device again, and choose Enable. There are other things you can try, but the above usually sorts the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Marian Walsh

They have a jack but wherever I connect it to the computer it doesn't work. I assumed that when I disconnected them it would revert to the speakers in the monitor but not so.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Marian Walsh

Duiske wrote: »
    Try disabling/re-enabling the device in Device Manager. Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Sound, Video and Game controllers. Right click on your device and then choose Disable. (Warning will pop up, click Yes) Right click on the device again, and choose Enable. There are other things you can try, but the above usually sorts the problem.

I tried this but it didn't work. I now have headphones plugged in and they are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Gormal

I had this a coule of times and it turned out just to be the settings. When I go to devicemanager > sound and click on it, my speakers it ticked, you can highlight it and go to configure or properties to play around with the settings.
    The green jack goes in the back middle socket on my pc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement