Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

talksport block epl commentaries in Northern Ireland!

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

i tried to listen to liverpool v man utd on my dab radio yesterday on talksport only to get a message saying then did not have the rights to broadcast them in Northern Ireland? Why - that have been doing this for ages!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

dbcool wrote: »
    i tried to listen to liverpool v man utd on my dab radio yesterday on talksport only to get a message saying then did not have the rights to broadcast them in Northern Ireland? Why - that have been doing this for ages!!!

It is possible that the NI rights have been sold to someone else, or that NI is lumped together with the Republic. I think either of these scenarios is unlikely, however.

I know that sometimes the FA Cup final hasn't been shown on tv in Scotland because the SFA season hadn't finished or something, due to UEFA rules, but this is a bit odd. Especially since TalkSport is owned by UTV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Would be stupid for them to be lumped in with the ROI rights. The ROI commentary on Sunday is on Newstalk, which has very poor coverage in NI, seeing as it's not transmitted from Clermont Carn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

What was going out on their two MW transmitters in NI during this time??
    Were they taken off the air or also broadcasting this message?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dbcool

Antenna wrote: »

Were they taken off the air or also broadcasting this message?[/Quote

No it was still broadcast live on mw. Just not in DAB? Strange one especially as they are owned byUTV and have just had a daily advertising campaign running on UTV with Andy Gray etc talking about shopping in Newtownards!

Antenna wrote: »

Were they taken off the air or also broadcasting this message?[/Quote

No it was still broadcast live on mw. Just not in DAB? Strange one especially as they are owned byUTV and have just had a daily advertising campaign running on UTV with Andy Gray etc talking about shopping in Newtownards!

Man utd v Newcastle league cup commentary not blocked!

• Advertisement

well man utd v spurs last night on dab talksport - wow the first 30 mins were on it! yeah - BUT after 30 mins they started that message on a loop again stating "due to legal and technical issues we cannot broadcast over dab in northern ireland 0 please retune to freeview, freesat or online - great but i ain't go those in my car! - whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

well man utd v spurs last night on dab talksport - wow the first 30 mins were on it! yeah - BUT after 30 mins they started that message on a loop again stating "due to legal and technical issues we cannot broadcast over dab in northern ireland 0 please retune to freeview, freesat or online - great but i ain't go those in my car! - whats going on?

Maybe it's due to Talksport being on the DigitalOne Multiplex in Great Britain, but, as DigitalOne isn't currently available in NI, they broadcast on the local multiplex. Maybe some sports rights okay allow DAB broadcast in DigitalOne.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,129 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It seems to be blocked permanently now. Trying to listen to it on my phone with the TuneIn radio app but that message keeps looping. Anyone know a way around it?

it was still on freeview and freesat! and am

it was still on freeview and freesat! and am
    Champions league is ok on dab talksport tonight
    Seems only epl! They block

• Advertisement

yep no epl commentery on dab talksport again yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Hopping The Border

Comment 16 on this page appears to give the explanation.

I'll leave it to someone more versed in the ways of DAB to explain it further.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1738542

Advertisement