Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi from bus station to College Fields

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi, Anyone got a good price - and the phone number - for a taxi to College Fields from the bus station on a Sunday night?
    I get in to the Bus Station around 8pm and currently get a taxi from there to College Fields but it's costing €9 - €10 to get there - more than it costs to get from Dublin to Waterford!!
    So basically I'm looking for a cheaper alternative or if anyone else getting in around the same time and willing to share a taxi??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Walk into town to a taxi rank and stop looking like a tourist. Youll be charged the regular rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

+1 on that ^^^, id normally walk it though sometimes would get a taxi up that end of town where you are going, if you walk to the rank at railway square you should should get a taxi for 6 euro and it should only take 3-5mins walk from the station. never needed to take a number though....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Where is College Fields? Never heard of it!

College Fields (as far as i know) is one of the three student campus accommodation buildings on the main campus up by the Tourism and Leisure building

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Media999 wrote: »
    Walk into town to a taxi rank and stop looking like a tourist. Youll be charged the regular rate.

Yeah not much use walking into town if you have a load of bags and/or it's raining, and I'm pretty sure they charge the regular rate from the bus station too.
    Old Perry wrote: »
    +1 on that ^^^, id normally walk it though sometimes would get a taxi up that end of town where you are going, if you walk to the rank at railway square you should should get a taxi for 6 euro and it should only take 3-5mins walk from the station. never needed to take a number though....

It's more than a 3-5 minute walk from the bus station to Railway Square.

Maybe you could try using a Hackney instead of a Taxi , they should be a bit cheaper than a taxi as they charge a set rate instead of by the meter. I think there's a place in Railway Square called Waterford Hackney or something similar, maybe you could ring them and give them a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

Have my clothes for the week back with me so I probably do look a bit like a tourist with the bag! It's a metered run but I got JB cabs last week and he charged 8 euro - thanks Johnnykilo I'll try waterford hackney this weekend.:) I've walked it during the day and it's a fair walk, took about 35 mins - and with my bag and the good old Irish weather I'd prefer a lift! :D

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Yeah not much use walking into town if you have a load of bags and/or it's raining, and I'm pretty sure they charge the regular rate from the bus station too.

It's more than a 3-5 minute walk from the bus station to Railway Square.

Maybe you could try using a Hackney instead of a Taxi , they should be a bit cheaper than a taxi as they charge a set rate instead of by the meter. I think there's a place in Railway Square called Waterford Hackney or something similar, maybe you could ring them and give them a try.

yep , google maps puts it about 5 to 9 min walk , walked it plenty of times with a 100 litre ruck sack and it aint more than that to railway square if your lookin to get home.

Old Perry wrote: »
    yep , google maps puts it about 5 to 9 min walk , walked it plenty of times with a 100 litre ruck sack and it aint more than that to railway square if your lookin to get home.

5-9 min walk to where? From college fields in to bus station is a good 30 min walk.

Zil2011 wrote: »
    5-9 min walk to where? From college fields in to bus station is a good 30 min walk.
    Bus station to railway square.

Ah right! Was just wondering was some short cut that I didn't know about!

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure they charge the regular rate from the bus station too.

Pretty sure they dont as has just been told to you by someone.

You call 9 euro a regular rate??

Taxi drivers love making an extra few euro an hour from Naive tourists.

Id love to know what route he took if its on the meter.

Pretty sure they dont as has just been told to you by someone.

You call 9 euro a regular rate??

Taxi drivers love making an extra few euro an hour from Naive tourists.

Id love to know what route he took if its on the meter.

What? No one mentioned anything about rates apart from the OP, who said they were initially charged €9-10 and then €8 the last time. I don't know what taxis you'd be getting but the quay to the College is a fair distance in taxi terms. Between €8 and €10 is what I'd expect it to cost, especially with bags. If it's done by the meter then it's the regular rate, there's not too much the driver can do to change it apart from maybe adding on a extra euro for baggage.The OP might get lucky with a hackney but I can't imagine it would be that much cheaper anyway. Have you ever even gotten a taxi from the bus station to the college? If so I'd love to know how much you were charged cos it seems like the rest of us are missing out on some sort of special rate that only you know about.

The taxi could either go down the quay and out the Cork Road, or else up Ballybricken and down Paddy Browns. The Ballybricken route may be a bit shorter but there's more chance of getting stuck at traffic lights so there's not much difference either way.

I dont have a local accent but live here a long time. I once got a taxi from the Bus station to WIT and the taxi man asked me "is it ok if we go by the ring road?"

Some of the biggest cowboys in the county are taxi men.

I dont have a local accent but live here a long time. I once got a taxi from the Bus station to WIT and the taxi man asked me "is it ok if we go by the ring road?"

Some of the biggest cowboys in the county are taxi men.

I hope you took his name and ID number and reported him to the taxi ombudsman. That kind of behaviour really isn't on.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I hope you took his name and ID number and reported him to the taxi ombudsman. That kind of behaviour really isn't on.

Id rather just say no and laugh rather than let them do it and lose a few Euro.

These boys know exactly what they are up to. They think they will never see you again if your not local and chance their arm.

Id rather just say no and laugh rather than let them do it and lose a few Euro.

These boys know exactly what they are up to. They think they will never see you again if your not local and chance their arm.

I'd have said no and then taken the info!

"Is it ok if we go by the ring road?"

"No. Why would we go by the ring road if we are going to WIT."

"Oh sorry i thought you said Tramore."

Pointless going to anybody as they will just deny it. It would have to be me spending an extra fiver and sitting there knowing full well im being ripped off while\ he takes the long route, just to prove it and as far as they are concerned you gave permission to go that way.

As i said. Them boys know a lot more than you or i will ever know about what goes on and how to make a few extra pound of naive tourists.

Ah I know you couldn't prove it but I would've reported it anyway. Might make someone keep an eye on those shady types. Hate hearing about people being ripped off.

If the OP is still following the thread, here are the details of the Hackney company I was thinking of:

http://cityhackney.com/local_priceing.html

If the OP is still following the thread, here are the details of the Hackney company I was thinking of:

Thanks so much Johnnykilo! That's a big price difference, I'll give them a buzz next Sunday so! I went in on a JJ kavanagh bus last night that brought me straight to the college, but it took an hour longer than it would take bus eireann, so I'll not be doing that again! Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 BigGayKirk

Thats exactly the hackney I was going to reccommend. I just wish I heard of them sooner!! €6 or €7 is a good price to get up to Templars or the college

I get that crowd every Sunday night now, it's 7 euro from the bus station to the college and I just text your man on my way in on the bus so he's there waiting for me, thanks again for your help

Advertisement